Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 92 bronco and i have rcently developed a severe pull..i was driving and made a right turn in my subdivision and when i tried to straighten out my truck disagreed...it pulled almost into the ditch and i had to fight the wheel for about 3 blocks then it stopped doing it...i left a little while later and the same thing happened, again only for a short while...a mechanic at work lifted it and said everything in the front end was tight...any suggestions???

ps-i don't know if it is applicable but i recently replaced my automatic hubs with manual but i have not needed 4x4 yet

·
Banned
6,930 Posts
Had a similar problem on my old '79. Turned out to be a loose wire had gotten wrapped around the column flange at the end of the steering shaft.

I'd eye-ball everything from the steering shaft out to the outer tie rod ends. Look for any kind of debris that might have gotten caught up. Assuming the hubs were properly installed, they shouldn't cause what you're describing.

But a question, did this start only after the hub swap? If so, the installation may not have been good.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks...

thanks for the replies i'll have him check my brake calipers on monday, he didn't think of that...i'll also have him check for any wires or anything else near the steering..also to answer you question the hubs were done about 2 months ago and i've only been able to drive it maybe 5 times since then because of other problems...so it's possible, i'll have him check...thanks a lot hopefully he'll find something..thanks again

·
Registered
843 Posts
1) Could be bad wheel bearings. Did your mechanic check their condition when working on the hubs? Not properly seated?
2) Could be bad ball joints. Search "Ball Joints" will give you information on how to test them.
3) Could be bad sterring components. Linkage, tie rods etc..

·
Registered
34 Posts
A couple of more things you might want to check:

1. Warped front brake disk. Had to have my new disks remachined as one was warped right out of the box!

2. Sticking Caliper on one side.

3. Take a really close look at your steering gear box. I recently had to replace mine as an internal piece just sheered off and it suicided on me. Change the powersteering fluid (check it with a small magnet and see if you are getting any grit or small metallic pieces and if you can you might consider taking a very close look inside the box. A small chunk of metal under pressure will stop that worm gear cold. It could be getting ready to self destruct....just a thought. Mine sheered off a forged internal mounting ring...just poof! No workie!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts