Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok... so I have had my bronco long enough to figure out there are some things I want to do to it... I am just not entirely sure what all those things are yet. I will start out with some pictures of where I am right now.

I will crawl under it and take some pics of the underside as soon as it is not so muddy. There are certainly some things to be done, but I have little to no rust, so that is good. I know I need a starter, mine is heat soaked I suspect from reading about it on here.

·
Premium Member
1991 Ford Bronco, w/95frontclip, 6"Superlift, Deaver J40 springs, 35x12.5 K&N, 3"Bassani
416 Posts
I started with the same thinking about 5 years ago and several thousands of dollars later I am still working on it. First thing is to establish a budget and decide if this is going to be an investment or a passion. Work on projects that fall into that budget and your vision of the finished project. There are a lot of little things you can do, change out the vacuum lines, upgrade your coil, tune up, buff your headlights, plug your tire gate holes (so you don't add to potential rust areas), change you auto hubs to manual, upgrade your alternator and the list goes on and on and on... For me it is a passion so I don't even look at what I spend anymore. I am well past the point of no return. Good luck and enjoy the journey. P.S. if you decide to lift it, do what everyone says and go for the 6" vs the 4". This will save you money down the road.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Good looking truck. Fix that headlight and fill the tire carrier holes and drive it.

Lets hear your future plans for this truck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She runs pretty good... I am doing plugs/wires/oil next weekend... need to do the transmission and differential fluids too. PO claims they were done recently, but I want to do them all to be sure it was done, and that way I know when. I am hoping to get a tire gate from a JY... just not a lot of yards near me, so it may take a bit.

Hubs are manual already. I do want to do the 3g upgrade. I have already fixed the rear window motor, wiring was crappy. about 20 splices with electrical tape and speaker wire. Torque pins are bad I think in Driver side window. Passenger runs fine, most of the time, but I have a wiring issue there somewhere, because sometimes it won't engage the motor at all.

I am fortunate... this is something the wife likes the idea of. It is primarily a toy, but will need to be driven on some winter days to work. I am going to redo vacuum lines... I have both Haynes and Chilton manuals for it, and I am going to have to use them, because there are some spots that look like they should have a line attached that don't.

I have lurked and read a ton on here for a couple of months... getting ideas and such... I am not so interested in restoring it as original as I am making it what I want it to be. It will be a process that takes time as money allows, but that is part of the fun of it.

I will work on the headlight soon... I need a new radiator core support, the old one was busted and someone welded it on there.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had company for most of the weekend, but did get to tinker a bit Sunday. I was looking at electrical connectors and such, as I want to pull codes. I found one that is frayed and showing a good bit of bare wire. I will clean that up this afternoon. I would have done it yesterday, but darkness (and sub 30 degree temperatures) were telling me later would work. lol.

I did drive it in 4 wheel drive to get out of a muddy spot yesterday, and it did fine in the mud, but when heading back up the driveway, it had a little lurch to it. not big, maybe just normal because of traction. I have to change fluids on everything anyways, so I will check it out better then I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had to drive it into town last night for a meeting... about 15 miles. Fuel gauge decided to act crazy... went up and down for about 10 minutes. Seemed to correlate to the rpm of the vehicle... higher rpm, higher the fuel gauge went. I let it sit for a few hours while at the firehouse, and it was normal when I drove home. I am thinking a wiring issue somewhere. I reckon I will just go over all the wiring with a fine tooth comb to be sure.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok... I got plugs changed the other day.. all Ihave to say is whoever decided to make it so damned difficult to get to some of them should be shot!
I still need cap and wires, and ignition coil.

I scored a new grill and headlights from a buddy... I should have them tomorrow, I hope.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was doing some cleaning inside... going through some stuff, etc... and I got to looking closely at the instrument panel. I have some bulbs out behind it, so I was kinda looking to see how much of a job it was going to be... and I found that the PO was kind enough to cover the RABS light with a very nicely cut piece of electrical tape... of course, the light is on. Found some good threads to go through... search is def. my friend on here. Hopefully some of this mud dries up so I can get to work on it a bit.

·
Premium Member
1,992 Posts
I was doing some cleaning inside... going through some stuff, etc... and I got to looking closely at the instrument panel. I have some bulbs out behind it, so I was kinda looking to see how much of a job it was going to be... and I found that the PO was kind enough to cover the RABS light with a very nicely cut piece of electrical tape... of course, the light is on. Found some good threads to go through... search is def. my friend on here. Hopefully some of this mud dries up so I can get to work on it a bit.
Don't feel bad. My PO had used "Foil" for fuses on the fuse block. Keep us posted on your progress. The important thing is to Have Fun! :popc1:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Been really busy lately, so not a lot of time to get much done. Bought a new serp belt, partly because I am hoping that is the cause of the squealing, and also because i like to have a spare one in the vehicle anyways. I am waiting for temps to warm up a bit more, gonna paint it orange. Probably redo the top in black... trim and stuff will be black. she still runs good... really well actually, I had to make a few fire calls in it, and it ran/handled really well at speed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally got some decent weather when I didn't feel crappy or have a honey do list a mile long. Got the timing done on El Broncito... all I can say is WOW. I already had the plugs at the bigger gap for the 6 litre tune up... but still had to bump timing. It is like a whole new truck. I was used to really having to put my foot in it to go, and now it hauls arse. I did a u turn on my way to a fire the other day, and when I hit it coming out of the turn, I actually left rubber on the pavement... that's a first in this vehicle. I am a happy camper!

I still need to get new wires and coil.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered a starter solenoid from rock auto. I talked to PO and he said that he replaced starter and it was still hard to start hot. Upon looking, the starter does indeed look brand new. Talked to a mechanic buddy of mine, and he said I ought to replace the solenoid anyways... and toss the old one in my parts box as a spare.. there are a few things I like to have in the truck as a spare, never thought about a solenoid. lol

·
Registered
153 Posts
looks like a good start there, have an 89, but its a northeast truck so its got some "vents" . Do a search on the starter. They just seem to crank hard when hot. Best of luck to you with your 90

·
Registered
214 Posts
sweet start. I love my 1990.
Yours will be killer with a little TLC, some new tires and suspension work!

keep it up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Weather has turned rather nice of late, so the top is off... I have a friend who paints cars, he is going to help/teach me to prep and paint her.

He took a ride in it with me and we got to figuring, the clunking sound I hear in 4wd he says if probably a ujoint. I'm gonna crawl under and take a look real good this weekend.

I've been shopping around for stereos, since someone was nice enough to take the one in it before I bought it. They were even nice enough to take the trim that goes around it... time to hit the yards to see what I can find.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Nice truck Brother,

I have decided to make my 90 a passion, so I will continue to pour money into it a little at a time.

Ok... I got plugs changed the other day.. all Ihave to say is whoever decided to make it so damned difficult to get to some of them should be shot!
Here is my take on the guy who designed the clearance for the plugs, his wife was banging an auto mechanic so he decided to get his revenge.:beer

1 - 19 of 19 Posts