Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out of town for about ten days. I got back on Monday, to find a puddle of Tranny fluid under my truck. I am not talking all the tranny fluid in the system, just a small puddle/stain...maybe six inches wide. I crawled under the truck, and found a couple drip spots. One was of course at the lowest part of the bottom of the tranny. I also found a drip spot on one of the bolts on the front of the tranny. Hard to explain exactly where it is.

Today, I was checking the fluid level. I pulled the dip stick out, and to my surprise, about half the tube holding the dip stick...going from the tranny, to under the hood, came with it. WTF? How the hell does something like that just break off? Heat? It is pretty well hidden and protected from the elements. Anyway, does anyone think that could be the source of the leak? The system is pressurized, because of the fluid being sent up to the stock tranny cooler that came on my 96 Eddie Bauer, right? Or am I wrong about that? I was wondering if the fluid could of traveled up the tube and dribbled down the truck to the bottom of the tranny.

The one thing that is weird is the puddle accumulated after the truck sat for 10 days. That is the part that doesn't make sense, if it is in fact the dip stick tube.

Anyone have any experience with replacing the tube alone? How hard is it?

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,747 Posts
The tube is very easy to replace. You just have to finger out what exactly failed and why.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts