Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been working on one side for like the past two hours and am not close to getting a single rivet out....

I've been using an air chisel and an air grinder... i cut some notches into the bottom one and keep hammering the crap out of it but its not really going to far....

Anyone got any advice on how to speed this up? I wanted to take the truck to maryland next week but i dont think that is happening

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
now that you have a X in the rivet drill them out. so much faster to drill them
i'll give it a shot

I figure once i get it far enough i can just stick a bolt in the hole and hammer it out the back side?

·
Registered
7,914 Posts
Make sure to use a NICE drill bit FOR metal...you only need to drill half way through, then air hammer the head off.

I usually put a deep X in them with a grinder and the pneumatic chisel usually does the rest of the work.

·
Redneck Romeo
1,811 Posts
I used an air hammer with a chisel bit to basically scrape the heads off -- can't think of another way to describe it right now. Work from one side, parallel to the frame rail (between the frame and the rivet head), and work your way across.

Then once the heads were off, I switched to a punch bit to go ahead and punch the rivets out of the holes. The whole process made a hell of a lot of noise, but it worked.

·
Registered
2,330 Posts
I just used the cutting torch, of course I wasn't reusing my spring hanger! LOL

Cut the heads off, knock spring hanger off frame, heat rivets up and with a punch and hammer I tapped the rest out of the hole.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I cut an X in mine, then used a cold chisel and BFH. Worked a lot better for me than trying to use an air hammer.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
If you are throwing away your braket........

Cut and grind the head off on the outside. Grind it smooth with the same cut off wheel you used, and then hit them with a punch and they will come flying out.

To get to the back rivits better I cut the bracket in half after getting the first two out. Then cut/grind the head off and knock out the other two.

Very fast. No way would I try and drill them out.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i need to reuse these brackets, i got half of a head off but jeez this really sucks

this is as far as i got, i cut my hand open today so i'll go back tomorrow... I have the shocks unbolted but i cant get the pass side off the top stud :/

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
use a cutting wheel on a grinder to get rid of the heads, then punch them out with an air hammer. if you do decide to drill em out start from a small size and work your way up. and unless theyre brand new go ahead and pick yourself up a drill doctor, itll pay for itself in no time.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i guess i'll go to grinding and shit.... I'm gonna work on getting the swaybar and shocks off first so i can get SOMETHING done

·
Registered
151 Posts
Where did u get ur grinding disks? I used to get dewalt disks and they work good, then I found a brand called red line and they cut like nothing I have seen before. Picked them up at a scott- gross welding center and I'll went back and bought every one they had. Your choice in cut wheels will make a big difference in how long it takes to get those rivets out.

·
U jelly of my
3,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Where did u get ur grinding disks? I used to get dewalt disks and they work good, then I found a brand called red line and they cut like nothing I have seen before. Picked them up at a scott- gross welding center and I'll went back and bought every one they had. Your choice in cut wheels will make a big difference in how long it takes to get those rivets out.
i've been using little dremel ones and they have been cutting in, i just broke like 15 of them :rofl:

I just remembered i have a big one in my truck, i'll have to get it and use it...

·
Registered
9,788 Posts
i've been using little dremel ones and they have been cutting in, i just broke like 15 of them :rofl:

I just remembered i have a big one in my truck, i'll have to get it and use it...
just got pick up a 4.5 inch grinder, itll slice through those like butter. the ryobis are 60$ and theyre reliable

·
Thanks 351w500
5,447 Posts

OMG thats is the whole problem. Get a real grinder and it will take you 5 min per rivet. I was wondering why when you posted that pic It looked like nothing was done to it after all that time grinding.:doh0715: It will take you a week to do it with a dremel disk.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts