Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I apologize if this has been covered, i've searched and searched but couldn't find an accurate answer. I'd like to add the rough country front leveling springs but would like 2" or so out of the back end.

Is it possible to do the shackle flip but NOT move it "down" into the bottom two holes? Can i just flip it and use the existing 4 holes? From what i've read this might get me the 2" or rear ride height i would like.

Also, doing it this way should keep me from having to mess with the pinion angle or anything like that, correct?

Thanks all!

:beer

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,880 Posts
you would be better off getting a single AAL for each leaf spring (AddALeaf).

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
i would be interested if it can be done. post up what you find out.

·
Man of endless projects
9,490 Posts
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33578-bds-3-3-add-a-leafs-rear.html

Add A Leafs jsut adds an extra layer to the existing leafsprings which increases the weight capacity of the springs in turn making the vehicle abit higher. it should work fine but it might make the rear suspension abit stiffer and you might wanna get a set of U-bolts to go with them.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-170-block-kits-bronco.html
also might wanna try a block kit which goes between the spring and the axle like a big shim, this wont affect the springs capacity so it should drive the same. however they arnt quite as strong when doing heavy wheeling

also something to think about is that the front of the vehicle is about 2" lower than the rear. the reason they call it a leveling kit is to make the front and rear sit about the same so you might not want to raise anything in the rear

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-33578-bds-3-3-add-a-leafs-rear.html

Add A Leafs jsut adds an extra layer to the existing leafsprings which increases the weight capacity of the springs in turn making the vehicle abit higher. it should work fine but it might make the rear suspension abit stiffer and you might wanna get a set of U-bolts to go with them.

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/c-170-block-kits-bronco.html
also might wanna try a block kit which goes between the spring and the axle like a big shim, this wont affect the springs capacity so it should drive the same. however they arnt quite as strong when doing heavy wheeling

also something to think about is that the front of the vehicle is about 2" lower than the rear. the reason they call it a leveling kit is to make the front and rear sit about the same so you might not want to raise anything in the rear
Yeah, i don't mind the factory rake at all... i just didn't want to go crazy with a lift and it seems like the shackle flip might be the cheapest "best of both worlds" option, keeping ride quality, factory rake, and still getting a little bump for tires a bit bigger than stock...

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
Add a Leaf is the way to go for 2", shackle flip will get you 4".

NO LIFT BLOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Man of endless projects
9,490 Posts
make sure your shackels are bolts and not riveted in. not sure which mine are. also you MIGHT have to move the shackle back or forth. im not sure and ive never done them but i hear about it sometimes. i got a 2" leveling spring in the front and 3" block kit on both my trucks and never saw a problem with them and they see some extreme offroading the both of them. took only a couple hours to do the blocks and i didint have to worry about anything

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So... a shackle flip moves things forward 1.5 inches? So then i'll need a "zero rate" block/leaf/whatever? I'd rather not have to add any sort of "block" or have to deal with correcting things. Sounds like AAL is really the only viable option.

I was under the impression you could just grind the rivets out, flip'em over (using all 4 bolt holes), bolt'em up and bam, done.... nothing else... is this not the case??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I guess my other question is... IF this is even possible, will it interfere with the stock exhaust??

·
OMF
2,957 Posts
It will move your axle forward, the solution to this is to cut the rivets off of the front hangers and move them back 1.5".

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wait, i thought i read somewhere here that you DIDN'T want to mess with the front hangar so it wouldn't alter the pinion angle... Maybe just do AAL's instead of trying to be fancy as there aren't as many variables LOL

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
You can use a shackle flip kit and get from 2"-2 1/2" on up, depending on what length shackle you use with the new bracket. Search in the Vendor section for Hefty Fabworks shackle flip thread, tells a lot about the process, or call Hefty for info at 719-499-8126. They build some beefy stuff, and stand behind their work.

·
Local # 40 Boilermakers
15,785 Posts
You could build a set of shackle flip brackets for next to nothing and set the lift to what ever you want, I built mine for 3". I cant rember but I think its in my sas thread, there are plenty of pics in my supermotors link to BTW.
So far from what I read there are several people that need to either read more or start thinking out of the box.

...or you could just get some one to build you a set.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts