Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
but that moves the axle forward. so no, need to move the front one back.
no it doesn't. i don't get how you guys are all having the axle move sooo far forward. you aren't moving anything on the front side of the spring at all, the spring is still keeping the same length. and thats gonna determine your wheelbase. sure, the spring might be setup a little lower and this in turn might move the axle forward a little bit. i never noticed it really with the shackle flip other than this effect.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,742 Posts
kht428 did the flip w/o a zero rate, and when i saw his in person, you could tell the axle ended up forward a little bit. But not 2".

Joe, to clarify things: if he moves the front hangar backwards, itll push the axle back, and improve the shackle angle @ the same time. Then he can remove the zero rate he currently has in there.

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
mine went forward so much because of the superlift leaf packs...apparently superlift moves the pin location forward to help fix pinion angle with their leaf packs... that combined with the shackle flip put it about 2"...

i'm alos nwondering if im gonna lose any lift once i move the front hanger and the shackle swings back...seems as if the shackle is holding the4 truck up right now

dc

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
You'll lose a small bit of lift. Just like adding longer shackles. For every inch you add you get roughly half that in lift. Be the same goin the other way. Maybe around 3/4 of an inch or so with the better shackle angle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
with mine i had to move the front hanger back about 3.5"
i gained about 7" of lift out of it!
i used a front hanger in the rear and centered the hanger on the back stock holes. with the front hanger back 3.5" i have about a 30degree angle backwards on my shakle.
this is with stock springs and no blocks...

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
just placed an order for parts... add-a-leaf, new leaf spring perches to be welded on, and 2* c-bushings for the front axle...

gonna move the front hanger backwards approx 2", get the shackle angle where i want it by moving the rear hanger if necessary, install the add-aleaf to make up for the lost 1" lift from the zero rate and the 1-1.5" the rear sits lower than the front and then weld on new perches to get the pinion angle perfect...

hopefully soon...next two weekends are pretty stacked up so maybe the following

dc

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Just finished the shackle flip on my 84 Bronco today. I have the Sterling 10.25" rear axle from the 88 F-350. USing my old Bronco springs, the axle was centered with the use of the 4" blocks from the F-350. After I took out the blocks, the axle was then 2" forward of center. I measured the center of the fender opening, and marked a line on a piece of tape, then ran a string with a weight to center the axle. SO, I moved the front hanger back two inches to center the axle, then bolted up the rear spring front hangers from the F-350. There is really only one spot to mount these on the Bronco frame due to clearance issues with the rear crossmember and bumper. I just got everything bolted up with Grade 8 hardware, and a thunderstorm moved in. For now, I have the leaf springs C-clamped to the axle, but am searching for some U-bolts. THe stock U-bolts from the F-350 are about 6 inches too long, and I don't want to re-use old U-bolts. Anyone know where to get these for the 10.25" rear that are about 7-8 inches long? Oh yeah, my pinion angle is greatly improved, and I don't have any blocks or shims under the springs at the moment. JSM84

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
Just finished the shackle flip on my 84 Bronco today. I have the Sterling 10.25" rear axle from the 88 F-350. USing my old Bronco springs, the axle was centered with the use of the 4" blocks from the F-350. After I took out the blocks, the axle was then 2" forward of center. I measured the center of the fender opening, and marked a line on a piece of tape, then ran a string with a weight to center the axle. SO, I moved the front hanger back two inches to center the axle, then bolted up the rear spring front hangers from the F-350. There is really only one spot to mount these on the Bronco frame due to clearance issues with the rear crossmember and bumper. I just got everything bolted up with Grade 8 hardware, and a thunderstorm moved in. For now, I have the leaf springs C-clamped to the axle, but am searching for some U-bolts. THe stock U-bolts from the F-350 are about 6 inches too long, and I don't want to re-use old U-bolts. Anyone know where to get these for the 10.25" rear that are about 7-8 inches long? Oh yeah, my pinion angle is greatly improved, and I don't have any blocks or shims under the springs at the moment. JSM84

I'm sure any local spring shop can hook you up with the correct Ubolts...They'd just need the dimensions.
If not, Joe will be able to take care of you:
http://www.generalspringkc.com/ubolts/index.html

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
I'm pretty sure he'd bend up anything for you...I just noticed 3-5/8 wasnt listed.
If you cant find anything local, give him a call.
X2

I've purchased from Joe a couple times. Great to work with. Both times he told me if the springs were not exactly right he'd make it right.

·
Registered
8,386 Posts

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
Thanks again, Derrick. The shortest u-bolts i can find are 12" long, and I need some about 8-10" unless I use a 2-3" block. Gonna try to call JBG, and ask for the specs on some they sell. They list the dimensions on some, but not on the F250/350 u-bolts. Dangit...

·
Rest in Peace Friend...
3,220 Posts
I failed to mention that those u-bolts are with free shipping. Ordered them Wed PM, still waiting on'em. I went ahead and put the wheels back on this afternoon to check the shackle angle. It was BAD!!! With the weight of the Bronco on the rear springs, the shackles were flat and sitting on the springs. (I'll load a few pics tomorrow). Plan B- move the front hangers back to their original location. That improved the shackle angle (45* now), but the axle is again about 1.5" back of center. My only option now is to use some zero rates with the offset pin. The pinion angle is excellent, just about 1-2* below the rear driveshaft. Oh well, JSM84

·
Registered
8,386 Posts
I failed to mention that those u-bolts are with free shipping. Ordered them Wed PM, still waiting on'em. I went ahead and put the wheels back on this afternoon to check the shackle angle. It was BAD!!! With the weight of the Bronco on the rear springs, the shackles were flat and sitting on the springs. (I'll load a few pics tomorrow). Plan B- move the front hangers back to their original location. That improved the shackle angle (45* now), but the axle is again about 1.5" back of center. My only option now is to use some zero rates with the offset pin. The pinion angle is excellent, just about 1-2* below the rear driveshaft. Oh well, JSM84

If you need some zero rates, let me know...I've got 2 sets from ORD that I'm gonna get rid of.

·
Try it now!!
9,119 Posts

No blocks, perfect pinion angle. Front hangar is in the stock location.

I dont think there is any need to move the front hangar at all. I currently have a 14 bolt under my truck and the hangars are still where I put them 5 years ago when I took these pictures.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts