Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just ordered my Sky Shackle kit. After a lot of searching I decided it was the best route for me since I don't tow. But there is still a lot of different opinions on certain aspects of the kit. Even the couple of INSTALLS I read on here seem to go back and forth on what does exactly what. So please clearify it one more time for me. Oh, I am going up to a 6 inch lift and want more flex from the rear.
I realize that if installing only the kit in the OE location I should expect between 2.5 and 4"s of lift(depending on my sag), but my wheels will be off center in the wells. To corect this I ordered a set of Zero rate leafs(look more like blocks 2 me). So now should I still expect to move my mounting points for the shackle, or mount them in the OE location? And do you think I will still need the BellTech drop brackets to have a level or slightly higher rear end? Thanks for going over this yet again, there just seem to be a lot of differing opinions, even in the threads I read in the INSTALL section.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
you will get approximately haldf the lift of the shackle, as the shackle mounts are in roughly the same position. If you move the rear hanger forward, or the front backward, and go with a shallower angle, you will lose lift. If you want more droop out of arched springs, you need a shallower angle.

lift also depends on what springs and how tired. There are two different possible spring rates for our broncos.

You can also lower the front hanger for more lift. Which would help control spring wrap some as the front and rear springs eyes should be close to the same height.

basically, there is no tried and true answer, there are too many variables. If it were me, I would move the front hanger down and back by two inches, run the zero rate, and see where you are. get rid of the factory wedge also. If need be, you can then either lower the rear mount, get bell tech lowering shackles ( i shouldhave mine for sale here shortly, they have been reinforced too), or get a block.

·
Registered
940 Posts
i just did this with the sky brackets and the F-450 shackles. if you decide to move the mount forward to get a better shackle angle, be mindful of what is behind the frame. i moved mine 2" forward of the stock hanger holes, and the rear bolts of the sky bracket lined up with the body mount bolt, and the rivet for the crossmember. it was doable, but a pain in the ass. i had to cut up some wrenches etc. to get them tight.
i did a 4" ttb lift with it, and the rear is still higher than the front.
i left the stock wedge in, and have some vibes when i get on the gas. i will probably take that block out soon.

·
Master Bater
7,268 Posts
you should have any cleareance issues with the rear hanger, its just the gas tank. If you move the front one forwardy, you would have those issues with the bosy mount, and backward would give potential issues with the crossmember, wich are easily curable if you move the mount down a bit for a lttle added lift

1 - 4 of 4 Posts