Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know you can use the front shackle off the rear of a F-150 or F-250 and I also am aware that there are the sky manufacturing flip kits.

Any chance I can use the front hangers off a 79 bronco for a shackle flip on my 94 Bronco?

I have a 79 parts truck available.

Thanks!

·
Registered
115 Posts
The term shackle flip refers to the configuration of the rear shackle. Stock, the pivot is set below the springs making it a tension shackle. Flipping turns the shackle into a compression shackle. If you note with reference of where your spring/shackle eye is to the frame as well as the angle of the shackle itself (facing backwards), when you flip the frame bracket, you want to put the spring/shackle eye in the exact same spot and the angle to be 90* (facing backwards). This will not give you any lift and should give you the same as stock travel.

Most do a shackle flip to add lift. By dropping the point reference to the frame, you are lifting by a 1/2 fraction. Meaning for every 1" drop, you are relatively lifting 1/2". This is due to the length of the back end of the spring (from the center pin).

Best thing to do is to take a string and use it to measure the leaf's top spring. Add knots at the front spring eye, center pin, rear spring eye and shackle frame mount. When you flatten the rear portion of the spring, it lengthens it (no more curve). Use the spring to show the flatten length and with the shackle at an angle which won't interfer with the spring's movement. Many don't put the frame bracket in the proper place and this makes the shackle too short binding the spring before it becomes flat.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
The term shackle flip refers to the configuration of the rear shackle. Stock, the pivot is set below the springs making it a tension shackle. Flipping turns the shackle into a compression shackle. If you note with reference of where your spring/shackle eye is to the frame as well as the angle of the shackle itself (facing backwards), when you flip the frame bracket, you want to put the spring/shackle eye in the exact same spot and the angle to be 90* (facing backwards). This will not give you any lift and should give you the same as stock travel.

Most do a shackle flip to add lift. By dropping the point reference to the frame, you are lifting by a 1/2 fraction. Meaning for every 1" drop, you are relatively lifting 1/2". This is due to the length of the back end of the spring (from the center pin).

Best thing to do is to take a string and use it to measure the leaf's top spring. Add knots at the front spring eye, center pin, rear spring eye and shackle frame mount. When you flatten the rear portion of the spring, it lengthens it (no more curve). Use the spring to show the flatten length and with the shackle at an angle which won't interfer with the spring's movement. Many don't put the frame bracket in the proper place and this makes the shackle too short binding the spring before it becomes flat.
:doh0715: thats got nothing to do with what he asked......

to the OP, i would assume so, its a 3" wide spring in both trucks, but your probably going to have to drill new holes on the frame to get the rear shackle up there....

·
Registered
115 Posts
You are right. He's speaking of the front axle bracket to use on the rear for a flip configuration.

I would say no. Since the front leaf brackets locate the frame underneath them and the rear leaf brackets locate the frame to the side. If you plan to use the frame brackets, you will need to support them since they hang off the side of the frame on the rear leafs. You could look at putting them underneath the frame, but couple of other concerns. 1 - frame is 'C' channel and the brackets could use other support on the frame. 2 - since the leafs will be relocated, you'll need to relocate them on the axle. You'll need the axle perch welded on.

Good - you won't need stiff springs so you could use some really soft springs for great articulation.

Bad - with really soft springs, you'll need a traction bar to minimize axel wrap
- with soft springs located closer together, off-camber situations will feel like you will lay it over (and possible will).

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, sorry for the confusion. My question has to do with using the front bracket of the rear leaf springs off the 79 as a rear bracket of the rear leaf springs on the 94 to effectively do a shackle flip.

Thanks for the input and I hope this clears up the confusion on my original question.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts