Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 155 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, some of you may have seen me posting in the noobie section. Well, I've wanted a project rig for some time now and I love FSBs. Through a good friend I was able to get my hands on a 1978 Bronco Custom for $1,600.

Here she is:

This rig has been used as a daily driver for the last couple of years and runs like a top. 171,000 miles. I love the fact that it is a single tone color without trim. Everything is original (except the wheels, tires and paint) and the only thing that I could find wrong with it is a small crack in the topper under the window on the bottom driver's side (you can see it in the second pic).

The big item that I am going to change is that I am going to convert it to an automatic transmission with a floor shifter. I will then be redoing the interior (paint, seats, carpet, etc.) Next will be painting the exterior. Then last I will look at rebuilding the motor. I will be updating with pics as I go along. :rockon

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Good looking truck. Not only would I leave it manual trans I'd be looking to swap a zf5 in.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
First, don't even think about changing the round lights!!
Wouldn't dream of it!! Sacrilege!!

351M or 400? What transfer case?
351M. My buddy could tell you right off what transfer case, but I am a noob to the Bronco world so am not sure. I will find out though.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good looking truck. Not only would I leave it manual trans I'd be looking to swap a zf5 in.
Sorry brother, but I prefer the automatic... :wacko

·
Registered
118 Posts
good looking rig! wish mine was in that good of shape to start with.

Cant say I blame you on the automatic. I held out for quite some time to find an auto bronco I liked rather than a few nice 4 speed ones

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the work has begun. Replaced the mechanical fuel pump (not going to bore you with pictures) and the top fuel line and filter. Adjusted the clutch but while doing so noticed that the bushings and washers in the clutch release lever are almost completely gone, thus messing with the adjustment. I have ordered parts and will post some pictures when I pull that thing, clean it up and rebuild it.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The big item that I am going to change is that I am going to convert it to an automatic transmission with a floor shifter. :barf

How could you? I got all excited when I seen you had a Custom cause I figured it would be a manual. Ive been scanning the local Craigslist for parts to convert mine to a manual ever since I had it.:banghead

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
The big item that I am going to change is that I am going to convert it to an automatic transmission with a floor shifter. :barf

How could you? I got all excited when I seen you had a Custom cause I figured it would be a manual. Ive been scanning the local Craigslist for parts to convert mine to a manual ever since I had it.:banghead
Amen! Why does everybody want to make there be even less manual broncos out there???

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
well my California project rig came with a 302 4 speed, and out it comes and a built aod and 460 are going in
if the trans didn't shift like a old beat up combine perhaps I would have kept it
you cannot quick shift a 435 no matter how hard you try,and the ratios are less than ideal and didn't want the z5f swap route either

and for what I use it for an auto will work better
I don't need the 6 something 1st gear

I have a few toy cars I can row gears when I want to and the big ol bronc is not one of them

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Man, I knew I would get some flack from you guys on the tranny, but sheesh!! :cry

Look at it this way, my loss is somebodies gain. After swapping it out, I will be selling that manual tranny to an appreciative buyer who will love and cherish it. :toothless

·
Registered
408 Posts
I get it Shadowops ,and if thats what you really want thats your business .I just feel like every time a manual Bronco gets converted to an automatic an angel loses its wings.
I spend a lot of time climbing these billy goat hills on my place where the granny low would be so useful ,and i totally despise having an automatic in my rig.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Well when you do decide to do the swap I'd be interested in everything (pedals, bell housing, etc.) minus the trans.

·
Registered
825 Posts
My truck was a auto from the factory, the c-6 had been replaced about 8 years before i got it, i like driving it, wheni went to get it rebuilt nobody would touch it in the truck..too much work to take it out, plus the cost to rebuilt it. So i put in the 435/205 manual and all the goodies, i love the way truck drives, reminds me of my first 79 fsb with the manual, but becuase my knees are getting so bad and another total knee replace in feb, i have decided to go back to the auto.
The bottom line, we make these truck our own, we decide what we like and dislike, so if someone what's to change his or her truck for there needs who are we to say anything different.
I say go for it, make it your own and damm all the others who disagree with you. They built or modified there truck with out asking any of us.

1 - 20 of 155 Posts