Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Shadowops 1978 Bronco Custom build.

22K views 154 replies 39 participants last post by  outlawbob 
#1 ·
Hey all, some of you may have seen me posting in the noobie section. Well, I've wanted a project rig for some time now and I love FSBs. Through a good friend I was able to get my hands on a 1978 Bronco Custom for $1,600.

Here she is:

This rig has been used as a daily driver for the last couple of years and runs like a top. 171,000 miles. I love the fact that it is a single tone color without trim. Everything is original (except the wheels, tires and paint) and the only thing that I could find wrong with it is a small crack in the topper under the window on the bottom driver's side (you can see it in the second pic).

The big item that I am going to change is that I am going to convert it to an automatic transmission with a floor shifter. I will then be redoing the interior (paint, seats, carpet, etc.) Next will be painting the exterior. Then last I will look at rebuilding the motor. I will be updating with pics as I go along. :rockon

See less See more
Reactions: captainpicard300
#4 ·
First, don't even think about changing the round lights!!
Wouldn't dream of it!! Sacrilege!!

351M or 400? What transfer case?
351M. My buddy could tell you right off what transfer case, but I am a noob to the Bronco world so am not sure. I will find out though.

#3 ·
Good looking truck. Not only would I leave it manual trans I'd be looking to swap a zf5 in.

#10 ·
Well the work has begun. Replaced the mechanical fuel pump (not going to bore you with pictures) and the top fuel line and filter. Adjusted the clutch but while doing so noticed that the bushings and washers in the clutch release lever are almost completely gone, thus messing with the adjustment. I have ordered parts and will post some pictures when I pull that thing, clean it up and rebuild it.

#13 ·
The big item that I am going to change is that I am going to convert it to an automatic transmission with a floor shifter. :barf

How could you? I got all excited when I seen you had a Custom cause I figured it would be a manual. Ive been scanning the local Craigslist for parts to convert mine to a manual ever since I had it.:banghead

#15 ·
Amen! Why does everybody want to make there be even less manual broncos out there???

Reactions: Ghosteh
#16 ·
well my California project rig came with a 302 4 speed, and out it comes and a built aod and 460 are going in
if the trans didn't shift like a old beat up combine perhaps I would have kept it
you cannot quick shift a 435 no matter how hard you try,and the ratios are less than ideal and didn't want the z5f swap route either

and for what I use it for an auto will work better
I don't need the 6 something 1st gear

I have a few toy cars I can row gears when I want to and the big ol bronc is not one of them

#17 ·
Man, I knew I would get some flack from you guys on the tranny, but sheesh!! :cry

Look at it this way, my loss is somebodies gain. After swapping it out, I will be selling that manual tranny to an appreciative buyer who will love and cherish it. :toothless

#18 ·
I get it Shadowops ,and if thats what you really want thats your business .I just feel like every time a manual Bronco gets converted to an automatic an angel loses its wings.
I spend a lot of time climbing these billy goat hills on my place where the granny low would be so useful ,and i totally despise having an automatic in my rig.

#19 ·
Well when you do decide to do the swap I'd be interested in everything (pedals, bell housing, etc.) minus the trans.

#20 ·
My truck was a auto from the factory, the c-6 had been replaced about 8 years before i got it, i like driving it, wheni went to get it rebuilt nobody would touch it in the truck..too much work to take it out, plus the cost to rebuilt it. So i put in the 435/205 manual and all the goodies, i love the way truck drives, reminds me of my first 79 fsb with the manual, but becuase my knees are getting so bad and another total knee replace in feb, i have decided to go back to the auto.
The bottom line, we make these truck our own, we decide what we like and dislike, so if someone what's to change his or her truck for there needs who are we to say anything different.
I say go for it, make it your own and damm all the others who disagree with you. They built or modified there truck with out asking any of us.

#21 ·
The bottom line, we make these truck our own, we decide what we like and dislike, so if someone what's to change his or her truck for there needs who are we to say anything different.
It's all good. I expected it. If there wasn't a bunch of good natured ribbing I wouldn't like this forum and you guys as much as I do. :thumbup

#22 ·
New mechanical fuel pump and upper fuel line. Until I get around to installing an electric fuel pump.

#23 ·
So the PO had this rig sitting outside for a while on the street, so (of course) some crack head had to try breaking into it and tore up the driver's side wing window pretty bad.

So I scored at the JY the other day and was able to pick up a good one for $25 including the window channel.

Cleaned it up and yarded the old one out and installed the new (to me) one.

#24 ·
Some of you might have noticed in the original post that the weather stripping on the driver's side was falling off and was hung over the steering column.

My buddy dropped off a couple of these for free:

So I cleaned them up and hit them with a coat of Truck Bed Liner.

I then cleaned up the door sill on the driver's side and used some Permatex to put the weather strip back on and then installed the sill protectors. It could have been better, but this was my first time with weather stripping so it was good practice. I will redo all the seals in the future when I pull off the doors and paint the inside of them, so like I said, it was good practice.

#26 ·
The only beef I have with autos is the autos I've run in the mud and up steep rock walls all burned up way prematurely. But for a cruising rig and light use off road an auto is way more convenient. As mentioned before, it's all about personal preference and hey, someone on this forum would love to have your manual trans. And think of it like this, one angel loses his wings to give them to another.

#27 ·
The inside rear quarter panels were really hammered due to water and age (they were the original ones).

So I needed to show them some love and I didn't want to want to spend the ungodly amount of money to buy new ones (even if I could find them). So after a trip to Lowes for some 1/4" MDF and then BiMart for a roll of carpet and spray glue......wa la! New rear quarter panel on the passenger side.

I did trace the passenger side on some more MDF so I just need to pick up another roll of carpet and I can do the driver side.

Driver's side completed...

And now it's done...

Total cost of project? Less than $50.... :rockon

#29 ·
I will probably be mounting a 10" sub in the back panel. That is why I split it like that.

#30 ·
So the first major project is underway.... Commence operation "Angel Loses it's Wings"

Picked up a C6 Tranny with an NP205 Transfer Case. The guy was really great and gave me the torque converter, flex plate and bolts, tranny cooler lines, switch and wiring for the neutral and reverse lights, the fill tube and the kick-down. Both tranny and transfer case were recently rebuilt and pulled from his 78 F250 with less than 5,000 miles on the rebuild. Said the setup ran great with no slips and noises. I loaded it up and brought her home to the shop.

Only one problem. This setup has the 8.75" adaptor and I am going to need the 5.75" adaptor in order for it to bolt in without any mods.

Sooooooooo...... Anybody got a 5.75" adaptor and a 15.5" shaft (31 Spline) for a C6/NP205? Or know where to find one? I can either buy or trade the 8.75" adapter and shaft that is pictured.

Thanks for your help.

#32 ·
The overall length of this setup is 3" longer than the NP435/NP205 that I currently have in the vehicle. So I believe I need to go with the shorter adapter or change my front and rear drive shafts?

Am I correct on this? Or am I not understanding something?

Outlawbob, do you have the whole shorter adapter? Or just the shorter shift lever connecting rod?

#33 · (Edited)
I may have misunderstood your post. If you are putting the c-6 np205 into your truck, everything is there, the drive shafts have to be lengthen by about 2 1/2 inches, also you will need to run wires to hook up for the neutral safety switch and back up lights. There is a plug on the fire wall about mid center, a large cluster of wires, it should have red /white stripe for the safety switch, and for the back up lites. Look at your harness going to the manual trans for the back up lites, all the wires might be there, the red with white stripe is the neutral safety wires.
MY truck which was a auto to start had the plug, when i converted it I tied the red/white together so i could start the engine, i put a toggle switch on the dash for the back-up lights. I never use them anyway.
the transfercase support bracket mounts in a different location of the frame, it moved down the frame about a
inch, the same bracket, also the floor panel cover is different for a manual and auto, is aw a panel on ebay the other day for a auto transmission vehicle. On my truck I changed steering wheel to a manual type, and put a lokar for the auto, before i switched over to the manual 435.
i going by memory for the wire colors, might be red/blue for the neutral safety switch, i got them in my factory manuals if needed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.