Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

She gets a ring, what do I get? A 1990 Bronco XLT

676 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  MPLS_Bronco 
#1 ·
Hi guys!

I’ve been lurking a bit, I think it’s time for me to go legit.

So, been ring shopping for the girl (also time to make that legit) and I jokingly said “you get a diamond, what do I get!?” and she hits me back with “well I’ve been thinking about that, and I think I’ll buy you the old bronco you’ve been wanting for so long”.

So the other day we picked up a 1990 XLT with 150k miles on it. It’s got the 5.8. Typical body rust but not too bad. Clean interior. Engine sounds good, and I’m comfortable with it since I’ve been tinkering around on my 95 150 (I6, 112k miles) and 96 short bed (also a 5.8) for a few years now.

So the bronco snaps the serpentine belt a mile down the road from the sellers house. No big deal, easy roadside repair and there was actually a spare belt in the storage cubby in the back. Is it a bad omen? Hope not.

Drive it to work the next day and I’m showing it off at the end of the day, have it idling with the hood up for 20 minutes talking to a couple of guys when, it just cuts out. No stall, no sputter, it’s like someone turned the key back. Won’t start. Google and YouTube taught me how to pull the codes and I’m reading an all clear. Leave it at work, decide it must be an ignition problem and I’ve already got an MSD coil, wires, plugs and some other easy tuneup pieces on the way.

That leads me to today, I get after it again after work (we have an old garage on site so a safe place to park it for a few days) couple of the younger guys keep saying it must be the battery, must be the alternator. I’m not buying it but part of me is hopeful that they’re right. I read lots on here about similar problems- stalling out while driving, not starting, but then starting again after cooling down. Lots of guys going down lots of rabbit holes- had me nervous it could be anything. So today I hope maybe it will start after sitting over night. I’m cranking it, it’s giving me one hard chumpa and then nothing. Finally the young buck helping me says “it’s weird, I can see it go around once…” wait what, it’s actually doing a turn? Switch places, let me see what’s happening!

He keys it for me and I can right away see all the pulleys turning a bit except… the Compressor clutch pulley. BAM. That’s a problem. Putting too much resistance on the works! We pop the belt off and sure enough she fires right up! Took the compressor off just to make sure it would come off (it was a MESS under the clutch, holy heck) locked her in the garage overnight and picked up a new jawn for tomorrow. Should definitely be able to get her purring again after work tomorrow. Also got my new plugs and wires and associated jazz so I figure I’ll give it the full treatment after work.

ANYHOW, that’s my intro. But the reason I really wanted to break the ice is because when I was under her today I noticed she’d leaked a bit overnight. And traced the leak, easy enough, to this spot. And I’m embarrassed to say I have no idea what this component is. It’s right behind the oil pan. It’s slow leaking around a plug that almost seems like it’s rubber. Reminds me of the plug you see on an inspection/cleaning port on duct work. Assuming I can post a picture, what is this?
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Grey Wood Bumper

Can I post two pictures? If so check out the wounded soldier
Hand Automotive tire Nail Circle Metal

Wow! Easy enough to post pics here, so might as well show off the “before” pic of my new project truck!
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Car

Looking forward to being a contributing member of the forum! I’ve been daydreaming SO HARD about all the time I’m going to spend with this bronco (and of course the woman who bought it for me) we’re closing on a house with a detached 3-car garage in about a month and I’m already eyeing up welding rigs. Excited to learn body work. Also noticed some crusty bits underneath today, hoping I can weld those out of existence, although the front post of the chassis that comes away from the axel and out towards the bumper was looking depressingly bad. Not sure if I can reinforce that, scab a new piece on, or what- but I shouldn’t get ahead of myself just yet.

See less See more
#2 ·
If you talking about the transmission bell housing (front of the trans back of the block) likely a rear main seal, trans gotta come off for that one though.

#3 ·
Congratulations on the wife and bronco. Yup, that's just a plug on the bell housing. I think its just used to drain the torque converter. Mojo is right, leak is probably from rear main seal which is a pain but you seem up to the task, depends how bad it is.

#4 ·
Yo Randy,
Welcome and congratulations on your engagement followed by the 90!
Here are the 1990 Bronco Pre-Delivery Shop & Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manuals (EVTM), Partial by member Kingfish999 in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck service manuals - Google Drive
&
1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf by Ford via member 90.CaliBronco in Google Drive @ 1990 Ford Truck Emissions Manual.pdf

Suggest you download both for faster scrolling and to use the table of contents index.

1990 Ford Bronco Brochure by Ford via Dezo's Garage @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1990-Ford-Bronco.pdf

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom!

For any Bronco issues or to chat about it's planned modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories that requires 50 non-padded posts to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members.
save.

Our Forum FAQs includes for example, How To: Upload Images To Posts, Search and more tips!

➡See Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) ... includes such as, "Tailgate Window repair & troublehooting".

Try to find time to participate and vote in our current Full-Size of the Month Contest & later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing. Prizes are awarded to winners; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; and a years worth of premium FSB membership.

Al

#5 ·
Welcome & congrats on the girl, the Bronco, the house, & the garage! 👍

As for the leak, you might want to check the back of the valve covers & intake manifold too. Sometimes they'll leak & drip down to that same location & look like a rear main seal.

#6 ·
Congrats on the bronco and the wife!

I’ll chime in to note my rear main seal is very slowly leaking and that area is where I noticed it pooling. (It’s actually leaking very very little now after an oil change with a tiny bit more weight).

Obviously plenty of info on here in regards to the RMS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.