Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1989 XLT 5.0 - Auto Trans, Manual Hubs
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got her out of the paint shop...I got a mid level paint job since so she looks great but I don't have to be too careful with it. Color is Ford's Guard Metallic used on the F150's a couple years back...

Next is the lift kit and 35's

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will definitely takes some pics out in the sun. The top was supposed to be satin black but he shot it with gloss. The 4" strip along the tailgate will be covered with a piece of black diamondplate. Should look cool.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,829 Posts
nice color.

Reactions: Weber

·
Ultra Premium Member
1996 EB w/5.8 TOO much lift, 44" Mudders & 5:43-5:38's
5,685 Posts
Nice, love to see it when it's all together!

·
Registered
316 Posts
slick!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Apples and onions here but curious what its costing? I’m in SoCal, the quotes I’m getting for sub mid-level job are 3000-4000$ For non-gloss top coat plus the shell. Kinda shocked what its gonna cost but maybe its because of all the jackass California regulations

Reactions: Trashboat

·
Registered
836 Posts
That's a good color. I wanted a 2015 mustang in that color. Definitely a unique choice

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Apples and onions here but curious what its costing? I’m in SoCal, the quotes I’m getting for sub mid-level job are 3000-4000$ For non-gloss top coat plus the shell. Kinda shocked what its gonna cost but maybe its because of all the jackass California regulations
Hey Shano, your right on in your quotes. I paid $3,500 out the door. It's definitely not perfect. There are a few runs of the clear coat and only really had them fix the more noticeable spots. A small rust hole on the roof and bottom of the tailgate where water collects. I can probably wet sand out the runs and polish it up but I'm happy with it for now. I'm in SoCal as well and I can give you the name/number of the guy I used if interested.

·
Registered
1995 Eddie Bauer- 351W
36 Posts
What constitutes a mid level paint job? What did they skimp on? No/ limited body work? Lower grade paint? Less coats? Just curious.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What constitutes a mid level paint job? What did they skimp on? No/ limited body work? Lower grade paint? Less coats? Just curious.
I'd say it's one step above Maaco. I didn't have them remove any dings or small imperfections. They did sand it down and primer it and it was a 2 stage paint job. Meaning it does have 2 coats of color and 1 coat of heavy clear on it. A lot of cheaper paint jobs will use a single stage where the paint already has a gloss clear mixed in. I received another quote where he wanted $7500 but he said it would be a much better job, all dings removed, skim coat, wet sand out all imperfections, etc. Couldn't tell you the brand or quality of the paint.

·
Registered
199 Posts
beautiful, looks great.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Bronco Custom, 5.0L EFI AOD Manual Hubs
99 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I'd say it's one step above Maaco. I didn't have them remove any dings or small imperfections. They did sand it down and primer it and it was a 2 stage paint job. Meaning it does have 2 coats of color and 1 coat of heavy clear on it. A lot of cheaper paint jobs will use a single stage where the paint already has a gloss clear mixed in. I received another quote where he wanted $7500 but he said it would be a much better job, all dings removed, skim coat, wet sand out all imperfections, etc. Couldn't tell you the brand or quality of the paint.
So they painted it with the top on?

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So they painted it with the top on?
They did paint it with the top on. I did however have the top off for a bit and put new weather stripping prior to paint. They did gloss on the top by mistake, should have been satin.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
It's almost always about labor. It's funny the OP mentioned Maaco - which most all of them are independently owned / operated. There is one near me, and their painters have painted a ton of REALLY nice race cars / show cars etc. They were brought ready to spray vehicles and went to town with base coat / clear coat.

Labor and prep work is the cost.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Labor and prep work is the cost.
Cannot be stressed enough, I'm sure.
I'll be finding out the hard way this or next year.

My Bronco body is already pretty straight but does have several small dings that I will probably take a month trying to repair.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts