Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I would just take the Bronco in for a new exhaust. Went in to the Les Schwab to see if they had everything they needed on hand and to check that they could do a good job.

I talked to the muffler guy and he said that he had only welded up a 't' once before and didn't think he could weld up a 'y'. So, I told him I would see about ordering up a 'y' (I was originally thinking the Clifford one) and bringing the rig in when I had it.

I ordered the Walker Y pipe that was used on the later 6 cylinder Broncos.

Now I am thinking that I may attempt to hook in to the pipe that still goes out back from the V8. It's only going to be like 4 or 5 feet to make the connection...How hard can it be right :)

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
I thought I would just take the Bronco in for a new exhaust. Went in to the Les Schwab to see if they had everything they needed on hand and to check that they could do a good job.

I talked to the muffler guy and he said that he had only welded up a 't' once before and didn't think he could weld up a 'y'. So, I told him I would see about ordering up a 'y' (I was originally thinking the Clifford one) and bringing the rig in when I had it.

I ordered the Walker Y pipe that was used on the later 6 cylinder Broncos.

Now I am thinking that I may attempt to hook in to the pipe that still goes out back from the V8. It's only going to be like 4 or 5 feet to make the connection...How hard can it be right :)
Takes some pics for us V-8 guys so we can see what you mean.

How much is the Walker one ? Is it like two three into ones ?

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
The front 3 cylinders on a EFI 300 share a manifold and the rear 3 share another. The walker pipe just hooks them together and goes out the back.

Justin

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
The front 3 cylinders on a EFI 300 share a manifold and the rear 3 share another. The walker pipe just hooks them together and goes out the back.

Justin
How efficient does it "Y" up together Justin ?

Flowmaster makes these cool Scavenger Y's in various sizes;

They're efficient as heck;

in fact Summit says it was good for 40 ft/lbs on a 396. I know it really woke my 302 up when I fabbed this up;

Theyz only around $40.00 and you can get these flared ends for your manifolds for about $11.00

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I really don't know how cleanly they come together, never looked into one. But i know it's sold as a replacement part, not as a performance additon.

When I thought about powering up my carbed 300 is when I did the 390 swap. Now i'm back to a 300 and want the 390 back so bad I'm not spending a nickel on the 300 that I don't have to so I can keep pushing the FE project along.

Justin

·
Registered
73 Posts
How efficient does it "Y" up together Justin ?

Flowmaster makes these cool Scavenger Y's in various sizes;

They're efficient as heck;

in fact Summit says it was good for 40 ft/lbs on a 396. I know it really woke my 302 up when I fabbed this up;

Theyz only around $40.00 and you can get these flared ends for your manifolds for about $11.00

Sixlitre
six you are the man i want to do that to my 5.0 with the 2.5 to 3 how did you get the bends in the pipe? does anyone know if an exhaust shop would do that and throw one high flow on there and call it a day? i need to do that and get rid of that F****N pass side leak (yeah theres another one:twak

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
six you are the man i want to do that to my 5.0 with the 2.5 to 3 how did you get the bends in the pipe? does anyone know if an exhaust shop would do that and throw one high flow on there and call it a day? i need to do that and get rid of that F****N pass side leak (yeah theres another one:twak
Follow along on a step by step build s1120 is doing

He's keeping it as simple and as inexpensive as possible. He's also proving you can do this on your back, without jacking up the Bronco (the beauty of our vehicles!)

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114224&highlight=s1120+sixlitre

Sixlitre

p.s./
In answer to your question, my pipe bending buddy fabbed this up. I'd often said it could be done just by using three mandrel bent 90 degree pipes, a couple of flared ends and that Y-pipe from Flowmaster......s1120 is doing just that !

·
Registered
897 Posts
Ya, its not that hard. I mean I am no fab king. A lttle bit of fit,test, fit test, will get you going. Eaven if you cant weld. Just find some way to hold the pipes together, and send it somewere to be finished welded.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya, its not that hard. I mean I am no fab king. A lttle bit of fit,test, fit test, will get you going. Eaven if you cant weld. Just find some way to hold the pipes together, and send it somewere to be finished welded.
I've been following yours. All I'll have to do make about 4-5 feet to tie in the new with the still usable. I haven't welded much these past 20 or so years but my son is certified.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Follow along on a step by step build s1120 is doing

He's keeping it as simple and as inexpensive as possible. He's also proving you can do this on your back, without jacking up the Bronco (the beauty of our vehicles!)

http://www.fullsizebronco.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114224&highlight=s1120+sixlitre

Sixlitre

p.s./
In answer to your question, my pipe bending buddy fabbed this up. I'd often said it could be done just by using three mandrel bent 90 degree pipes, a couple of flared ends and that Y-pipe from Flowmaster......s1120 is doing just that !
Sixlitre:

Are you running the flared ends without a doughnut gasket?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,297 Posts
Sixlitre:

Are you running the flared ends without a doughnut gasket?
He11 yes !

I'm not a GM ! (only GMs use such stop gap, p!$$ poor engineering stock).

How many beater Chev trucks (and particularly vans) over the years have you heard farting on by because their donuts have blown ?????????????????????

No reason in the world to use them if you fit the flared ends right on the manifold or header ball to begin with.

The aftermarket was founded inventing band aid cures for p!$$ poor GM engineering, attempting to right their mistakes (which they've proudly stood behind, mistake after mistake after mistake:doh0715:)

Billions have been spent(and made by the after market) trying to make a smallblock Chebbie sound half as good as a Big Block Dodge.

Sixlitre

1 - 14 of 14 Posts