Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make some drawers out of some light weight sheet metal. I know i can figure out the pattern for the box. But my question is how exactly do you bend the box edges to get square on all four sides? Know of any write ups? Books?
Nick

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Build a sheet metal break, its the only way you can get decent bends. Search for H150's hummer build, I think on page 5 (IIRC) he has pics of his sheet metal break. He sent me some additional ones. some day i will build one as well.

·
Registered
259 Posts
when you get to the bends a break can't do you need a folding bar and hand seamers

·
3 wheeler
1,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
that was my confusion. I can see how to bend two sides that are opposite each other but the third and four are the ones that confuse me.

·
Registered
259 Posts
nbaff said:
that was my confusion. I can see how to bend two sides that are opposite each other but the third and four are the ones that confuse me.
thats why you need a folding bar and handseamers

·
FSB warrior
6,113 Posts
Moose said:
thats why you need a folding bar and handseamers
Shoot I came up with the sheet metal break, but what is a folding bar and hand seamer??/ got any pics??

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
To me, it reads like a folding bar is just a piece of angle (say, about a 2 x 2) and the hand seamers are vice grips with the wide, flat jaws.

When I've built boxes, I've always made a stand, with a piece of angle the same length as the inside dimension of the box, then folded the last side by hand, using a hammer to form the corner... ******* tin knocking

·
Registered
259 Posts
davids78bronco said:
To me, it reads like a folding bar is just a piece of angle (say, about a 2 x 2) and the hand seamers are vice grips with the wide, flat jaws.
you are right about the seamers. a folding bar comes if different lenghts. it is about 1/8in thick and on the sides you can slip in the metal to be bent. 1/2in on one side or 1in on the other side. sears sells a 18in bar. They also make one that is adjustable.. The seamers from sears is about $35. And yes these are tin knocking tools.

·
Gamble Til We Die
518 Posts
being a Union Sheet Metal Apprentice the way you finish a box (in our shop) would be with a Box Brake. The fingers come in different sizes and are removable. Also called a corince brake. Obviously the home do it yourselfer isnt going to have one or want one. so the next best is to start the bend on the brake and finish it like david said

1 - 13 of 13 Posts