Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to go have the rig weighed to get it licenced. 4960 with a empty tank of gas. Holy moly, thats about 900 more than I thought. Do F-150's weigh that much? Then again, Im going from a 87 Mazda B2600. All my wheelin buddies drive Jeeps and 'yotas, I dunno if they can pull my fat ass out if I get stuck anymore.

·
No avatar required
10,959 Posts
Beau M said:
IAll my wheelin buddies drive Jeeps and 'yotas, I dunno if they can pull my fat ass out if I get stuck anymore.
You need a winch. My 88 was extracted by a ZR2 more than once. But it was violent everytime. I once stuck it in NJ Pine Barren mud for 45 minutes while the only other full size(Blazer) was fixing some electrical issues and V8(360) Grand Cherokee tried, but only succeeded in lifting the reaf of his Jeep off the ground when the strap tightened.

88 stock height on 31 Grabber AP's in NJ soup.

·
Registered
689 Posts
i had my 79 on a scale and with a 460 and a empty tank it was 5300.......so with my fat ass and 33 gal of gas thats real close to 3 tons!!!!

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
My pig is pushing 6500 lbs trail ready. My buddy's TJ is close to 5000 lbs. All that crap we put on ads up fast. :thumbup

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Beau M said:
I had to go have the rig weighed to get it licenced. 4960 with a empty tank of gas. Holy moly, thats about 900 more than I thought. Do F-150's weigh that much? Then again, Im going from a 87 Mazda B2600. All my wheelin buddies drive Jeeps and 'yotas, I dunno if they can pull my fat ass out if I get stuck anymore.
You're a light weight. with a soft top and no backseat my truck weighs 5850 with me in it, perhaps 1/2tank of gas. And there are lots of broncos out there weighing more than me.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,997 Posts
Beau M said:
I dunno if they can pull my fat ass out if I get stuck anymore.
try the cabbage soup diet??

ohh, oh, you mean the rig? yeah, yeah, it's heavy aint it? :histerica

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
my 91 weighs 4500 pounds with under a half tank of gas and me not in it.

why are yours so heavy??

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
v8only said:

why are yours so heavy??
All the extra's.....

Winch, bumpers, lights, wiring, air tank, air line, spare parts etc. Over the past two years my rear has come down about 1/2" just from the extra parts I carry with me.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
v8only said:

why are yours so heavy??
for me, I actually took off stuff other than the hardtop and backseat...no rear window or motor assembly, no AC, but I added:

Winch/mount about 100lbs.
tires vs. stock about 200 lbs.
sliders about 65lbs.
skid plate about 30
axles (sas front and FF rear) all total about 130lbs
spare parts/tools about 100lbs

Those that did D60 front swap and 14B or 10.25 I think are likely averaging about 6000lbs or so, some more like 6300.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Shadofax said:
Those that did D60 front swap and 14B or 10.25 I think are likely averaging about 6000lbs or so, some more like 6300.
You know Shadofax, I was thinking about the same thing; I'm still running a D44 and 8.8 and I'm so heavy. :shocked Has me worried about when I do go to bigger axles. :shocked

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bronco boy said:
You know Shadofax, I was thinking about the same thing; I'm still running a D44 and 8.8 and I'm so heavy. :shocked Has me worried about when I do go to bigger axles. :shocked
I wouldn't be too worried. I know we all believe that our local scales must be dead on accurate, but I only use these figures roughly...I would love for you, me, one of the stock guys pushing less than 5k lbs. and say 1 or 2 of the guys with the D60/10.25 combo to get on the SAME SCALE. It may not be 100% accurate, but it won't lie of the weight differences between us.

As to axle changes, if you go to a 60 front, by all accounts that should be roughly 100 lbs more than you have now. for the rear, if you do your 14b with discs, that will help. Otherwise I would guess a 14b is at least 125lbs or so more than an 8.8. and of course once you got the big boy axles, you'll need the massive meats. That should push you just beyond the 7k mark.

That would be a dang heavy truck...too much for the little 351, you better go looking for a 460. Oh, that will add another...what....70 lbs or so???:shocked :shocked :shocked :banghead

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Shadofax said:
That should push you just beyond the 7k mark.

Sweet! A new goal to shoot for. :thumbup

That would be a dang heavy truck...too much for the little 351, you better go looking for a 460.

351?!? I wish. I'm still abusing my puny little EFI 302! :banghead

·
Registered
772 Posts
Im surprised how much heavier the broncos are than the f150s. My f150 is just now over the 5000 mark with the 1 ton swap.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,950 Posts
Have you ever tried to pickup the backseat? that thing is a BEAST. A lot heavier than i tought. The top isn't very light either, and the tailgate wieghs a lot more than ana f150 tailgate. You take into account the extra interior panels and carpet....i could see why a bronco weighs more than an f-150

Didn't we have a thread a while back where some people were claiming broncos didn't wiegh but like 4500lbs or something?

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Any of the bigger truck stops should have a state certified scale......I would assume that they would be as close to dead nuts accurate as needed for this application. Just drive in......get weighed.....drive off.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts