Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Premium Member
1989 XLT 5.0 - Auto Trans, Manual Hubs
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Got the 6" lift put on last week and she got some new shoes as well.

Lift went well but running in to some pinion angle vibrations but not bad. I'm going to swap out the rear lift blocks for new springs (which I should have done in the first place). Rough Country said I can return some of the hardware for credit. Once I get the new springs, I still may have to shim it here and there to get the angles right but she's coming together.

I ordered the ProComp 6" leaf springs which looks like it it has some "shim" built in but does anyone happen to know if I'll need additional shims? I'm hoping the new leaf springs will correct the pinion angle but we'll see.

Pro Comp 23411 Rear 5-6" Lifted Leaf Springs - PAIR | eBay

Thanks all... 馃殬

Registered
Interested in your ProComp spring install and experience. And you probably bought the last set available. I've been watching for a while myself, just too cheap to pull the trigger!

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Interested in your ProComp spring install and experience. And you probably bought the last set available. I've been watching for a while myself, just too cheap to pull the trigger!
Pretty sure I did get the last set, sorry about that. I went back and forth if I should just keep the lift block and stock springs or just replace the whole spring which is a better option I think. I should get them in a few days and will post how it all goes.

Registered
Did you stack your factory wedges under the 6 inch blocks? I ate a driveshaft by not including factory wedges and just using the 6 inch blocks in the rear.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you stack your factory wedges under the 6 inch blocks? I ate a driveshaft by not including factory wedges and just using the 6 inch blocks in the rear.
Hey Paul,

The rear lift was an add-a-leaf and 4" blocks. I had the same question so I called Rough Country and they said the stock wedges are not to be used. The new blocks are tapered so I figured it would account for the angle. The vibration is slight but its there. I'm staying away driving it until I can get the new springs in place.

Registered
I installed a 6 inch skyjacker. The rear blocks were also tapered so I thought I did not need the stock wedges either. I chewed up both U joints due to the pinion angle being off. I put the stock wedges under the 6 inch blocks and the pinion angle corrected itself and it has been fine for 8 years. Hopefully your springs fix the angle.

Seems to be arguments all over the place on whether to use the wedge or not with blocks. I do not think you will get much input 鈥. no body really likes using the blocks with or without the wedge. I think your doing the right thing and try to stay away from the blocks.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I installed a 6 inch skyjacker. The rear blocks were also tapered so I thought I did not need the stock wedges either. I chewed up both U joints due to the pinion angle being off. I put the stock wedges under the 6 inch blocks and the pinion angle corrected itself and it has been fine for 8 years. Hopefully your springs fix the angle.
I think your right about keeping the stock wedges. Most of the stuff I see online is suggesting that they are kept with most applications. Once I get the springs I have a feeling I will put them back on to correct the angle but I'll report back (y)

Registered
@mleydekkers - what's the wheel and tire combo?
looks amazing

Registered
Geez, that ebay link and it's 4" lift springs counterpart were stellar deals.

Premium Member
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just an FYI....Got the new leaf springs in this weekend and used the stock wedges. No more lift blocks and no more vibrations in the rear, woohoo!!!. It did lift the rear end up another inch or two though so now the back sits slightly higher but barely noticeable. I also had to cut the last couple feet of exhaust off. The curve in new leaf on the passenger side was in the way. Back to the muffler shop so they can reroute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts