Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1996 bronco 5.0 with 140 K just did tune up plugs (autolites 55gap), rotor (MSD), coil (MSD), plugs (FORD RACING 9 MM), oxygen sensors all three, new timing gear and chain, replace water pump too. I’m going to install a B&M shift kit I have an E4OD trans. I never did any trans work before. I like to do the wrenching on my bro. So I’m going to try this my self. . What I’m going to get my self into. What should I look for? Or do first. I looked in search did not see any that may help me out.

Thanks for your help

James

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
:stupid

You'll be fine. I agree with everything stangmata said, but especially the part about following the directions to the letter. If you have any questions during installation, post it here and more than likely one of us can point you in the right direction. One of the most important things is to keep everything CLEAN! Don't skimp on keeping your work area clean, either. Dirt and transmissions don't get along that well. You might want to stock up on brake parts cleaner and those nifty blue shop towels.

I'll be installing my B&M shift kit later this week, too. I already put the resistor between the VPWR and EPCS, and the shifts are already better. :D

·
Registered
867 Posts
SigEpBlue said:

You'll be fine. I agree with everything stangmata said, but especially the part about following the directions to the letter. If you have any questions during installation, post it here and more than likely one of us can point you in the right direction. One of the most important things is to keep everything CLEAN! Don't skimp on keeping your work area clean, either. Dirt and transmissions don't get along that well. You might want to stock up on brake parts cleaner and those nifty blue shop towels.

I'll be installing my B&M shift kit later this week, too. I already put the resistor between the VPWR and EPCS, and the shifts are already better. :D
Couldn’t agree more on keeping the area clean, and take your time.
I forgot one spring one time while putting in a shift kit, it shifted like crap. do you know how much 16 quarts of fluid cost X 2. a lot!
Also when you drop the valve body, there be a but load of fluid behind it so watch out.
The first time I did one, the guy helping me, (guiding me through the procedure), just as I was about to take out the last bolt on the valve body, he steps back then laughs as all the fluid drowned me!

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
I have absolutely NO experience with this. Are you from Alabama?
man i thought we were friends after this comment you can kiss my ass.

·
Registered
9,976 Posts
:scratchhe:scratchhe

what does that resistor do and does it hurn anything? can i do just that?:scratchhe

·
Registered
199 Posts
This is just one of lifes many questions.... other than make the tranny shift harder what exactly is a shift kit gona do? i know racers that get them, but unless you are racing a Bronco why do you need a shift kit?

·
Registered
7,923 Posts
slow, sluggish shifts, while nice for the driver/passengers creates extra heat and is hard on the clutches. Firm, snappy shifts = more life out of your trans.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts

The factory accumulator is terrible for longevity and reliability. It's so bad that there are functions in the PCM to help make up for its inadequacies during cold-weather operation. With a shift kit, you can significantly increase the transmission's life, reduce heat, and make the shifts feel more "positive" rather than sloppy. With some, you can boost TV pressure as well. I don't because I have complete control over the PCM's transmission controls, but for those that don't, the kits usually offer a method doing it with either a spring change or a dropping resistor.

FYI: I have 190,000 miles on my original E4OD, except for the torque converter, and it still shifts like (rather better than) new.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts