Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have a voltage chart for the e4od shift solenoid connector? I am not seeing any voltage in the shift 1 or shift 2 pins or the epc + and epc- pins also. Most voltage I can get is intermitten between 0.089-2.254 etc.... I am hoping this will solve the all mighty dreadful "limp mode". Any help at this point will be greatlly appreciated

·
Registered
263 Posts
Does anybody have a voltage chart for the e4od shift solenoid connector? I am not seeing any voltage in the shift 1 or shift 2 pins or the epc + and epc- pins also. Most voltage I can get is intermitten between 0.089-2.254 etc.... I am hoping this will solve the all mighty dreadful "limp mode". Any help at this point will be greatlly appreciated
It would help if we know how and where you were making your checks. At the CPM, transmission plug, disconnected, or back probed while connected.

The solenoid pack have built in diodes to protect the CPM from back spikes, so reversing the leads on your meter might give you a false reading. And, is the trans in gear while your making these checks, neutral?, 1st?, Drive?

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
I'd be willing to bet that our pal miesk5 has some helpful info at his site for this issue.
do a google search starting with broncolinks
if that doesn't work then go to his site broncolinks.com and search there.

I am certain that he lists the resistance values for each position of the DMLPS AKA MLPs Digital Manual Lever Position Sensor.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am checking the transmission solenoid connecter plug p passenger side of the transmission pins 1 thru 12. Pin 1 has 14 volts. When I put it in drive the voltage drop in solenoid shift 1 and 2. I thikn pin 2 and 3. I'm driving with the solenoid plug not connected

·
Registered
4 Posts
OK, lemme see if I can jump in and explain/help what we've got. I'm the OP's friend at who's house the Bronco is currently dead at.
Here's a rundown of what we've got, and what we've done;

New MLPS
New VSS
New EEC relays
New weatherpack connector at the shift solenoids
New shift solenoids

Checked all related fuses
Checked ohms on the MLPS

Codes 638 and 624

Transmission harness plugged in, truck goes in reverse, goes in drive, but never shifts out of first, no matter what position the selector is in.
Transmission harness unplugged, you can manually cycle through the gears, transmission seems to be working ok.

OD switch and light seems to work intermittently.

I'm not a Ford guru, but in my best estimation, the transmission is tired, but working, we're suffering from an electrical, possible computer issue.

·
Registered
263 Posts
OK, lemme see if I can jump in and explain/help what we've got. I'm the OP's friend at who's house the Bronco is currently dead at.
Here's a rundown of what we've got, and what we've done;

New MLPS
New VSS
New EEC relays
New weatherpack connector at the shift solenoids
New shift solenoids

Checked all related fuses
Checked ohms on the MLPS

Codes 638 and 624

Transmission harness plugged in, truck goes in reverse, goes in drive, but never shifts out of first, no matter what position the selector is in.
Transmission harness unplugged, you can manually cycle through the gears, transmission seems to be working ok.

OD switch and light seems to work intermittently.

I'm not a Ford guru, but in my best estimation, the transmission is tired, but working, we're suffering from an electrical, possible computer issue.
I assume the problem existed before the parts were changed. Have any of the codes changed from when you started? Pardon my asking, are you sure the weather pack connector is wired correctly.

The reason I ask is that I believe the weather connector came out after 92, and during the period between 90 and 96 the wiring changed on the connector. Also, the solenoid pack changed in 95 and isn't compatible with the 92 ecc. And, i'm not sure, but the ecc might not use the signal from the VSS for shifting purposes. In my 90, the signal comes from the sensor in the transfer case. I'm not sure when they started using the VSS in the differential, but I thought it was later then 92. I could be wrong, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I am.

·
Registered
4 Posts
We've had the codes since the begining of the issue.
Nothing we have done has changed the trucks behavior.

I've wondered if the solenoid pack we ordered was bad right out of the box, or may be the wrong one. I've read several posts that have mentioned there's a couple different ones, depending on year. Do they all look the same?

I'm going to start tracing the harness, looking for a bad wire, because at this point I'm not sure where to go next. :banghead

·
Registered
263 Posts
We've had the codes since the begining of the issue.
Nothing we have done has changed the trucks behavior.

I've wondered if the solenoid pack we ordered was bad right out of the box, or may be the wrong one. I've read several posts that have mentioned there's a couple different ones, depending on year. Do they all look the same?

I'm going to start tracing the harness, looking for a bad wire, because at this point I'm not sure where to go next. :banghead
When the solenoids turn off the collapsing magnetic field can send a spike back to the ecc. To protect the ecc they put diodes in the solenoid pack to block the spikes. In 95 they moved the diodes to the ecc, so if you have a pre-95 ecc and a 95-96 solenoid pack there are no diodes and you can blow out your ecc.

I believe that was also when they changed the wiring to the weather plug, so you need to be sure that you have the right year solenoid pack and that the wire harness is wired for the 92. If either is incorrect you may have blown out your ecc.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Copy that, I puled the computer to gain easier access to the main plug so I can check the harness.
The case that the computer is housed in is pretty rusty, I opened it up, theres some, not alot, but some corrosion inside.
I'm going to finish checking the harness, pull the pan and verify that we do indeed have the right solenoid pack, just to be on the safe side.
But the initial problem of not shifting is what prompted us to replace the pack, so I'm not entirely sure that's our problem, but at this point, anything is possible.

How hard is a C6 swap? :whiteflag

1 - 11 of 11 Posts