Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 78 bronco with a c6 and a 205 transfer case. the truck is making a clunk, clunk, clunk noise in tune with the drivetrain when I am rolling to a stop and when I am just taking off. I tried shifting through the gears in the transer case with the auto transmission in neutral only to get some unberable
banging. shouldnt i be able to shift the transfer case with the c6 in neutral? is something not lining up properly. I cant remember if the hubs were locked in or not. I dont think that they were. what about my clunking noise? my front drive shaft is a little loose, but not bad and the rear shaft is nice and tight. any thoughts?

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,489 Posts
Check your ujoints - if your 4wd works you could pull the rear shaft and drive it around to see if the noise is there. Then try the same with the front shaft off. If the noise stops with one of the shafts removed, you found your problem, if the noise doesn't go away - it is in the transmission or tcase.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,250 Posts
On my 81 I can shift into 4hi with the c6 in neutral, but to go into 4lo I have to put it in park.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts