Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 bronco with auto tranny is overtravelling the shift positions in order to get the selected gear. I have to drop it into 2nd then back to neutral to get drive.
Do I need a new cable/linkage connector?
Is there a common adjustment I need to make?

Thanks in advance

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts
and in case;
Shift Lever Parts Break-Out Diagram, 92-96; "This is actually a CV diagram...". To align the shifter, shift lever, & shift indicator read Steve's Shift Cable Adjustment for 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

Items #26 & 34 are known to get loose;
26 Screw, Shift Tube Clamp N806584 (Automatic Only)
34 Screws, Arm N806584 (Automatic Only)
#28 Gearshift Lever Socket Bushing 7335 (Automatic Only)
is known to wear.
Items #19 & 25 are known to break, and Ford offers upgraded versions.
19 Column Shift Selector Lever Plunger 7361 (Automatic Only)
25 Transmission Column Shift Selector Tube 7212 (Automatic Only)

Shift Lever & Housing Removal & Installation in a 96
by Ford via justanswer.com
from Ford PCED/EVTM

Shift Lever Replacement; "...To change it, you'll want to drop the steering column. This sounds more difficult than it actually is. There's four nuts that hold the column up. 1/2 head side. Take the plastic housing off, undo the gear select cable, drop the column. There are a couple of plates that hold it in place. Torx head screws hold the plates. Undo those, then the shifter will become loose. Wiggle it free. Install in reverse order. Now, I did not pull the shifter itself while the column was in the truck. So there might be a little more involved if you try to do this while the column is in the truck. If it seems tricky to do so without the column removed completely, then remove it. There's a bolt the attaches the the steering rod to column, shift cable and some wiring to remove.,,"
Source: by sackman9975 (Scott) at FSB

Shift Lever Replacement; "...This is the shift lever pin. The knurled end just below the head retains it in the pot metal casting. Push the pin out to remove the lever. It may be necessary to tap the pin out with a small hammer & drift. The lever can now be removed from the shifter tube..." for a CV, but similar; read thru prev pages to remove other parts
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperMotors.net

·
Super Moderator
26,319 Posts
yo JR!

great, yw and thanks to Steve83 for his time posting that info.

and thanks for getting back here with your experience!

·
Registered
3,834 Posts
There is a shift cable adjustment near the steering column but you have to take some of the interior apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts