Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 96 e40d. Recently it has become hard to find the right gears on my shift column. It falls into drive around the neutral position, reverse around the park spot and so on. Also I have noticed while driving that the shifting is not quite as smooth as it was, it seems soft and slow. It used to be smooth, quick, crisp. Can anyone tell me what my problem might be?? I have done searches and found mlps stuff. Anyone??? Anything??? Please!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Thanks I searched that and got some good info, will look into it today. One other thing I would like to point out, just to see if you would think differently. --- It is almost (next to) impossible to shift into drive or reverse coming from the left hand side. To shift into drive I must first go past into 2nd gear and then back to drive. And for reverse go to neutral and then back to reverse. Also when I am in drive the play in my shifter is extreme, I can loosely move it from the left side of the N to the right side of the D while staying in gear and without pulling the shifter towards me(as if I wanted to change gears). Would this still be the shifter tube or steering column problem???? Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts
jrich14 said:
Thanks I searched that and got some good info, will look into it today. One other thing I would like to point out, just to see if you would think differently. --- It is almost (next to) impossible to shift into drive or reverse coming from the left hand side. To shift into drive I must first go past into 2nd gear and then back to drive. And for reverse go to neutral and then back to reverse. Also when I am in drive the play in my shifter is extreme, I can loosely move it from the left side of the N to the right side of the D while staying in gear and without pulling the shifter towards me(as if I wanted to change gears). Would this still be the shifter tube or steering column problem???? Thanks.

Your shifter column itself has stops for certain gears, so if your linkage is out of adjustment, down at the tranny, then it would be hard like you say. Now, if it is mearly the indicator that is off, there is a little string attatched to your shifter and it pulls the indicator left and right, sometimes that slides and it shows the wrong gear. That is pretty easy to adjust, just move the clip.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Problem fixed, thanks for the help. The two bolts on the the back of the shift column were loose. Just reached under and tightened em up. It feels like the c clamps holding the column down are loose too, but I'll wait awhile to take apart the dash and column.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
And now 5 years later. I have the same issue. I will use some locktite this time. I like resurrecting my own thread.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts