Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced the MLPS(NSS) on my wife's 92 F-150. Now the shifter won't go past neutral. I'm assuming it's a problem with the column or linkage because even when I disconnect the linkage from the trans the cable still won't move(pulling/pushing from below or foot on the brake and moving the shifter inside). It will start and go into reverse and N but it won't go past N. Putting the old MLPS doesn't make a difference. How could changing this part screw up something in the linkage?

·
Super Moderator
27,239 Posts
yo Bob!
1st simple check is to see if brake lights (not dash light) are working; if not (from Owner's Guide)"
"Your vehicle is equipped with a brake-shift interlock feature. This feature prevents you from shifting from P (Park) unless you have the brake pedal depressed. (The ignition must be in the ON position.) If you cannot shift from P (Park) with the brake pedal depressed:
1. Apply the parking brake.
2. Remove the key.
3. Insert the key and rotate one position clockwise (ignition in the OFF position).
4. Apply the brake pedal and shift to N (Neutral). (If the vehicle is shifted to P
(Park), you must repeat the previous steps.)
5. Start the vehicle.
If you need to shift out of P (Park) by using the alternate procedure described above, it is possible that a fuse has blown and that your
brakelamps may also not be functional. "

If brake lights are A-OK, etc.
E4OD MLPS pic w/Alignment Marks (from a Mercury, but similar) by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at SuperFord.org

E4OD MLPS Removal Discussion & Tips at fullsizebronco.com

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake lights work.
I remember reading that post before(where Will did the same thing) and it looks like I probably did it too. I didn't unhook the damn shift cable before trying to remove the nut. So when I tried to loosen the nut the cable was being forced forward. After I unhooked the cable the nut and the MLPS came off really easy(I sprayed them with PB Blaster a week ago). Same problem, none of the parts stores carry the cable so I'll probably have to go to the stealership. I guess I need to pull the cable off the column first to make sure that's what I screwed up but that's what it sounds like. I can't believe I made such a stupid mistake. It seemed like such a straight forward job who needs to read up on it first? Apparently I needed to.

Is there a chance I screwed up something in the column or will the cable give before damaging the column?

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK another question. I'm at work now so I can't look on the truck. The Hayne's manual refers to the "cable freeplay locking tab" and I'm just wondering what it is. It says when installing the new shifter cable to snap the shift cable onto the trans lever ballstud then re-lock the cable freeplay locking tab by pushing the tab back into the cable body. Don't know what their talking about but I'm wondering if this could be the problem.

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
RLKBOB said:
The Hayne's manual refers to the "cable freeplay locking tab" and I'm just wondering what it is.
Someone must know.

Come on guys, the cable is $55 and the dealer actually has one in stock but I need to know about this or how I can make sure the cable is actually bad before spending the $$.

·
Super Moderator
27,239 Posts

·
Super Moderator
27,239 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts