Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1992 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just bought a 1994 Bronco Eddie Bauer Edition with the electronic transfer case and I’m having some issues with the 4x4. When I bought it, the 4x4 was not working and the transfer case motor was unplugged. I replaced the motor and now it’ll shift into 4 high and 4 low without any issues. However, when I try to shift back out of 4 low to 4 high, my bronco will stay in neutral and not engage drive. Then, if I go back to 2 wheel drive from this neutral state, the transfer case clunks and allows me to shift into drive and continue in 2 wheel drive. So basically, I cannot shift from 4 low back to 4 high without going back to 2 wheel drive first and hearing that clunk. Any ideas what could be causing this? Should I avoid using 4 low?

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,593 Posts
Can’t help on the auto shift, mines a stick. That shouldn’t be normal does it shift into 4 high from 2 high?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can’t help on the auto shift, mines a stick. That shouldn’t be normal does it shift into 4 high from 2 high?
Yeah without any issues. It’ll only go from 2H to 4H to 4L, then back to 2H with a clunk. It’s only an issue when going from 4L back to 4H.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
You have to have the transmission in neutral to go between 4low and 4hi.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You have to have the transmission in neutral to go between 4low and 4hi.
I know. Then it won’t go back into drive... it gets stuck in neutral until I go back to 2H.

·
Registered
1984, 300 L6, smogless, manual 3speed with overdrive.
1,593 Posts
If you can try it on a slight incline in neutral let it roll a hair, if your gears are slightly warm it might be hitting tooth to tooth instead of tooth to valley. Not sure just a thought kinda like when you can’t shift a manual until you clutch it in and out if it stopped spinning tooth to tooth.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
Yeah it sounds like the gears just aren't lining up right or something. going from low range to high range always takes more. But whats odd is that going from 4 low to 4 high is the same as 4 low to 2 high minus disengaging the front driveshaft.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, I have the lever also (not motor driven)
The motor is nothing more than a replacement for your hand
I'll just say its never pretty trying to shift gears
I always put the transmission into neutral when I shift it to take any strain off the driveline
A motor is not as 'smart' as your hand to know when its running into resistance and to back off

So long as you have some sort of routine that works, I'd stick with that and call it done
Transfer case shifting in NEVER easy
Probably why the AWD SUV came along with no lever to actuate
Everyone had issues with the smooth-ness of a 4WD lever (or motor)

·
Registered
813 Posts
When you try to shift back out of 4 low to 4 high what button are you pressing? It was confusing to me at first, but you have to press the 4 low button to disengage the 4 low get to 4 high (in neutral of course).

Also to your initial question: Should I avoid using 4 low? I had similar issues disengaging the 4 low when I first got the truck and went through the checks on pavement but never any issues while off roading. Personally I wouldn't use the 4 low unless you need to get unstuck, I always use it as a last resort which is a lot in sand dunes. There's a lot of hate for the Touch Drive System but with proper maintenance it works great..

From Owners Manual:
Four wheel drive operation (4x4 or 4x4 LOW
RANGE) on dry pavement is not recommended.
Operating the vehicle in four-wheel drive on dry
pavement will increase noise, vibration, tire
wear, decrease fuel economy, and make
four-wheel drive disengagement difficult for the
transfer case.

·
Super Moderator
25,306 Posts
Yo Cole,
Touch Drive system indicator lights
4x4 indicator light and a LOW RANGE indicator light are located at the lower right of the instrument cluster. In addition, two small amber lights are located near the Touch Drive system buttons. The amber light to the left of the 4x4 button will light up at the same time as the 4x4 instrument panel light. The amber light to the left of the LOW RANGE light will light up
at the same time as the instrument panel LOW RANGE light.

❑Two Wheel Drive mode — Neither the 4x4 nor the LOW RANGE lights are lit.
❑4x4 mode — Only the 4x4 light is lit.
❑4x4 LOW RANGE mode — Both the 4x4 and LOW RANGE lights are lit.

"To shift from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4 HIGH:
Stop the vehicle and place the automatic transmission into NEUTRAL or depress the clutch on vehicles with a manual transmission.
(miesk5 Note; I sometimes need to turn engine off, then on at this time.)
Push the LOW RANGE button on the instrument panel to shift the transfer case from 4x4 LOW RANGE to 4x4.

·
Registered
9,708 Posts
So long as you have some sort of routine that works, I'd stick with that and call it done
Transfer case shifting in NEVER easy
Probably why the AWD SUV came along with no lever to actuate
Everyone had issues with the smooth-ness of a 4WD lever (or motor)
That's not correct at all. AWD has a center diff, it's designed for increased traction on road and on mild off road situations. In heavy off roading it can and will spin 1 tire while the rest stay still. AWD is available mostly for people who want more traction in icy or snowy conditions. In fact, some vehicles have/had options for 4wd or AWD. One will not replace the other. Most vehicles went to buttons or knobs for 4wd selection as trends changed and as 4wd systems changed for increased convenience. If you have an electronic axle disconnect there's no sense in having a manual transfer case.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts