Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I'm trying to sell my bronco, need the money for adoption process. Anyways, I was showing my truck today and I couldn't shift it into 4x4 at all. I have an 88 with the axles from an 84 F150, they were swapped before I bought the truck last spring. I've locked the hubs, they've been rebuit with new bearings and everything. I put the truck into nuetral and no dice. I've tried messing with the neutral saftery switch, but I didn't adjust it, just kinda moved it while my wife was trying to shift it. The linkage from the shifter to the transfer case doesn't move. Just wondering if you all knew of any quick things I can check, I don't want to put more money into a truck that I'm selling and I don't have much time as I'm going back to florida on the 2nd of Jan.

I appreciate all your help!

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
You don't say whether it's electric or manual shift 4x4. With the hubs locked you should get HI4 while moving. It is only LOW4 where you need to be stationary and in neutral.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
k1w1t1m said:
You don't say whether it's electric or manual shift 4x4. With the hubs locked you should get HI4 while moving. It is only LOW4 where you need to be stationary and in neutral.
says it in his profile it's a c6
and i have seen his for sale pics... it's a manual shift 4x4

but good answer...

need to be in drive and slowly moving or still to shift into 4hi

4lo is the one that you need to be stopped and in neutral to move into (and thats only after you have enabled 4hi)

outside of that... the manual is sometimes hard to move... i've had to whack em with my palm pretty hard to get em in/out before

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys, I'll give that a try. I've tried rolling a bit but I'll try it a bit faster. I've been trying it in neutral.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, it works like a champ. Sure is a pain in the butt to shift though! I really appreciate all of your help!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds like one of our northern Wisconsin Broncos. Up here when the shifter starts getting hard it's time to get under it with the wd-40 or what ever you like. Just start spraying all the shift bushings. Don't forget the shifter itself. You would be surprised how quick eveything can get rusted up. Just spray and shift, spray and shift. It will get better. Once you get it so it will shift right then make sure you shift it into four wheel drive now and then just to keep things moving.
Hope this helps some
Steve

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
soup87 said:
Sounds like one of our northern Wisconsin Broncos. Up here when the shifter starts getting hard it's time to get under it with the wd-40 or what ever you like. Just start spraying all the shift bushings. Don't forget the shifter itself. You would be surprised how quick eveything can get rusted up. Just spray and shift, spray and shift. It will get better. Once you get it so it will shift right then make sure you shift it into four wheel drive now and then just to keep things moving.
Hope this helps some
Steve
That and a fluid change will help immensely

I could barely get mine to shift when I bought it. The mud that oozed out of the T-case when I drained it made me wonder if it was gear oil instead of ATF.

I warmed it up first by roddin' the snot out of it in 4WD then pulled the plug and dropped the fluid. I poured in less than 3 quarts of new ATF and rodded the crap out of it for a week and dropped the fluid again (hot) and replaced it one more time with synthetic ATF;

If it's cold where you are, the shifting will be easy as pie all Winter (or for every prospective buyer).

Even if you just use low grade house brand ATF it will help a lot and don't use anything but the cheap stuff for the first week before you drop it again.

The $4.00 cure (with soups WD-40 on the shifter joints too).

Sixlitre

1 - 9 of 9 Posts