Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just finished the "hard" work of my SAS. Now I need shocks. This whole project has been a huge learning experience. Saying that I do not know the right way measure for shocks. I measured my Bronco on all 4s and on level ground. I call Rancho with the measurements and they just so happenend to ask me how I came up with the measurement. I told them and they informed me that I was wrong. They tried to explain to me over the phone but I was not that clear. I asked them if I needed to articulate the front and rear and measure and they told me know. They told me to lift the truck by the frame and that would give me my droop. That did not sould right to me :wacko . So, I have decided to ask this panel of experts :thumbup .

·
Registered
52 Posts
What they need to know is the at rest point, the max drop and the max compression. You will need to pick up the whole front end to get the max drop. Pull the springs and ease the truck down as if it had the for the max compression or measurehow much space is between the bumpstop and the stop and subtract that from the max drop number to get compression....

Somebody else feel free to chime in and let me know if I am wrong....I am taking a swag at this...

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
what shock moutns are you using and what axle in the front? a 44 or 60? Eitherway, i would recommend going with the f250 shock mounts and running a 9012 in the front. it is 19" compressed and 32 extended IIRC, then just move the shock mount up on the frame so you have about 3.5 to 4" up stroke available. that would give you a lot of flex. That is how I did it with my 44, I am going with longer shocks now with the 60 tho

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have tried to post a response to this twice in the last 2 days but the site wouldn't take a post from me. You need to measure full range of travel (easiest with a forklift) and make sure you have a shock that has the range covered. If you follow rancohos directions it is quite likely the shock will limit your travel and if you bottom it hard it will destroy the shock. Check my superford site for pics on this.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Yeah, you don't wanna measure full droop, the axle, esp a solid axle, won't just drop away to the fullest extent if you just unweight it. You wanna measure full articulation 'cause when one side is being forced up and the other is being forced down you'll see more travel than just allowing the axle to drop away unweighted (I'm sure there are exceptions, particularly if there is excessive bind in a link suspension)

You need to find a way to flex that puppy out.... climb under there (safely) and measure the distance between the shock eyes at full droop and full stuff. This is one of the primary reasons I built my ramp.

Now, you DO want to allow the axle to drop away unweighted and try to spin the driveshaft(s) to check for u-joint binding, but that's another story

·
Diesel Gynachologist
11,535 Posts
plug ugly said:
what shock moutns are you using and what axle in the front? a 44 or 60? Eitherway, i would recommend going with the f250 shock mounts and running a 9012 in the front. it is 19" compressed and 32 extended IIRC, then just move the shock mount up on the frame so you have about 3.5 to 4" up stroke available. that would give you a lot of flex. That is how I did it with my 44, I am going with longer shocks now with the 60 tho
this seems to be the comon setup. a 9012 will give you plenty of shock to play with

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
akmud said:
I have about 7" of lift. Also, will a 9012 work in the rear?
I very much doubt it unless you build new upper rear shock mounts. You'll most likely bottom them on compression

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
Keith_L said:
I very much doubt it unless you build new upper rear shock mounts. You'll most likely bottom them on compression
I think keith is right, but depending on how much lift you have in the rear, it 'might' If you have 7" rear, you might get away with it, or just pop the rivets off the stock upper mounts and put them higher up on the frame some. that might get it on there, but it will be close

·
TTB Hater of course
3,100 Posts
Flex it out and take a good look at what you really need.....you'd be surprised at how little the rear shocks move since they're relatively far inboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts