Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, be gentle on me here :D

I'm in the process of "building" a trail rig out of my f150. It's gonna be off-road only...not driven on the street AT ALL. I've got a lift for it, but i'm gonna have to purchase shocks and i'd really rather spend that $$$ on other parts for the rig. Do I HAVE to run shocks on it?? I mean, won't i get better articulation w/o them? Will I get excessive axle wrap if i don't have shocks on the rear?

Thanks guys :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I Think you need them.
For starters shocks don't stop axle wrap enough for it to be a factor.

If you wheel it hard in any situtiation you'll want shocks.

Mud pit: you might get some air if you make it out the end with some speed.

Sand: always need shocks

Rocks: if you wheel it like a baby then you might be able to get away without. But everytime you drop off a rock or take a trail a tad to fast it will get bouncy. bouncy might lean to a roll over if you are really speeding around the rocks.

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm--i didn't think about the body roll aspect. And yeah, i imagine it could get pretty bouncy... Thanks for the 2nd opinoins... it's always the little things that get mev :banghead

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Ogeechee 4x4 said:
I mean, won't i get better articulation w/o them? Will I get excessive axle wrap if i don't have shocks on the rear?
most of the time, shocks are the limiting factor in your suspension travel, unless you have limiting straps. if you weren't running shocks, i am guessing that you would run into problems with binding lots of things like your u joints and your springs. follow me?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts