Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was looking for something to entertain me tonight while looking for a good spot to mount tie down points..

Looking at the ttb setup, the stock front shock is longer, the rear is shorter... I was gonna remove the front shock to try and get a little softer ride, But what i remove the rear shock, and replace it with the longer front shocl...

I wont lose any travel, and may actually gain some...? Is my thinking right, Or am i totally moronic?

Please throw some advice at me.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
seems like it might work. the best way to find out would be to take off both shocks from one side first and then compare the difference in their travel. if the front one is longer, then you will probably gain travel.

the other thing to check would be to compress the spring as much as you can, and get your shock fully compressed to. if the spring will compress more than your shock will compress, you will need to move your bumpstops down, because when you come down hard, the pistons in the shock will bottom out, which isn't a good thing.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
aye, what he said. but are you saying the your FRONT front shock is longer that the font rear shock? mine where the same legnth. go figure.

·
Registered
506 Posts
mine were just like drilims......note I said WERE....:thumbup

·
hates EVERYTHING!
11,456 Posts
Yup, they're "supposed" to be different lengths...I remember someone talking about this one time, but don't remember if it was on a thread here or talking to someone in person. They did the same thing, and was pleased with the results. so yes you're on the right track I just can't remember the specifics like which shock he replaced with what...:shrug

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the responses...Any other ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
I know of one or guys who did what you're thinking of--running one shock on the front quad setup. That might work if you have aftermarket coil springs, since the factory ones will bottom out before the shock. If I recall, they had Rancho RS 9000's set on "9", or really stiff. Just don't kill the shock, or have it fade on you, cause the alignment changes as the front end articulates, and keep an eye on the tires for unusual wear.

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:goodfinge :goodfinge

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Come awn.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
the front shock is too long to fit it on the rear. also doing this would make the coils limit the down travel instead of the shock limiting the down travel.
when u have the coils limiting the down travel, just make sure the top J-hook coil mount can handle the weight of the suspension plus more. it would suck to jump the bronco and have the J-hooks break from over extending the coils then out comes the coils :twak

·
FSB's Bastard Child
2,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Would this be the case with longer then stock coils?

I apologize that i sound like a dumbass in most of my post, I just dont understand sometimes the reasoning behind stuff till it is broken down and explained to me...

·
Who needs oil anyways....
1,739 Posts
Since the topic is front shocks, what are the pros of having the quad shock setup instead or the regular shock setup? Any cons?

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
when i had my quad shocks it felt like i could corner better, there was less nose dive under hard brakeing and the front suspension felt more solid. i drove around with having the quad shock set up and just using the rear 2 and i like haveing the quard shocks.
my $.02

1 - 20 of 20 Posts