Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing the shock towers on my 96 Bronco.
Do the new ones need to be re-riveted on or can I use a hign grade hex head bolt, lock washer and nut?

okiiryu

·
Registered
8 Posts
Don't use nylocks use grade-8 1-piece steel locknuts or as a second choice regular nuts and lockwashers.

nylocks have less thread and put more strain on each thread, often stripping out the bolts.

·
crank trigger
8,150 Posts
i don't have torque specs in front of me, but i used nylocks on my radius arm brackets and torqued them on without stripping. i think it was around 120 ft/lbs or so. just fyi.
ps. i used lock washers with nylocks.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
why would you need shock towers for a 96? Was your bronco written off?

·
FSB Pimpster & Recruiter
5,714 Posts
oldhalftons said:
Don't use nylocks use grade-8 1-piece steel locknuts or as a second choice regular nuts and lockwashers.

nylocks have less thread and put more strain on each thread, often stripping out the bolts.
I have always been under the impression that if you use grade 8 Bolts, you must use grade 8 nuts and washers or else you are decsieving{sp?} the purpose.....

Allcruisen :imp :usa

PS I am changing mine also too dual shocks and I will use all grade 8 stuff....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
allcruisen said:
I have always been under the impression that if you use grade 8 Bolts, you must use grade 8 nuts and washers or else you are decsieving{sp?} the purpose.....

Allcruisen :imp :usa

PS I am changing mine also too dual shocks and I will use all grade 8 stuff....
The only thing I would cheat on would be the washer, and that is only if I lost the grade 8 washer I had already bought.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
no need for rivet. there are 6 rivets originally IIRC in my dual shock towers, if you can replace those with 1/2" gr5 or better bolts you're good to go. I use nylock...ensure they will not lossen, which is your biggest worry.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
i just suggest a torch and an air chisel for removal. i can get old ones off, and new ones on in about 2.5-3 hours for the pair now if i torch the shocks off, and torch all the rivits.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
shock tower replacement

besides some grade eight hardware, i would think that a good welding seam would be a good idea too. it surely couldn't hurt either.
i would also put a good coating of some kind of sealer or por 15 on the new tower mounts.

good luck.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Steve83 said:
If you ONLY torch on the old tower side of the rivets, it'd be OK. But I'd definitely drill & chisel the new one off the donor.
thats what i do. i could do it form the otehr side, im good with the torch, but the oens on the tower side are easier to get to.
i usually order new ones straight from ford.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts