Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This seems strange to me. I was underneath my '86 5.8w looking at a few things and grabbed the front drive shaft. At first, I thought it just had metal slivers on it but it turns out it was shocking me. Not a zap or two but a continuous bzzzzzzt. The engine wasn't running. Does this seem strange to anyone else or has anyone experienced this?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
636 Posts
You could have a bad ground to the engine or axle. (believe it or not) Bad frounds can actually burn up your U-joints, because it is arcing and passing current through it. You case seems a little odd, though. Check all your grounds.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Delayed thanks for getting back to me.

I have an extension to that question. I'm just curious to see what other people think about this:

I brought this same question up to my wife's uncle who immediately asked me if I was parked underneat high voltage lines. He mentioned there used to be a place that when he'd ride his bike under the high voltage lines he'd get shocked off of the frame and there'd be some people out there that had certain lights they could get illuminated just by moving them through the air.

When I got home I saw that I was parked directly beneath some high-voltage lines. Seeing how the vehicle isn't registered and I can't really drive it anywhere to get away from the lines, does this sound it's a pretty reasonable conclusion?
 

·
crank trigger
Joined
·
8,150 Posts
remove your battery and see if you still get shocked.
if you still get shocked, then i think you better fashion yourself a tinfoil hat with a quickness.
 

·
FSB warrior
Joined
·
6,113 Posts
YOu wont get shocked by 12V+ hitting your driveshaft, it would be hot, so it has to be AC current and therefore it is plausable that it could be because of hi voltage lines.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,684 Posts
there was high voltage lines across the wrecking yard i used to work at, you could hold up a flourescent bulb at night and it would dimly light up.
 

·
Ex Navy Nuke
Joined
·
5,420 Posts
I was a Navy Nuke for 13 years and I still glow at night, a little dimmer than I use to but still glowing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
every thing else aside you better believe a 12 volt car battery can flow enough current to melt substantial metal several hundred amps for a short time.regards shovelhead
 

·
Southeast Utah Native
Joined
·
919 Posts
Infinite Grade said:
Delayed thanks for getting back to me.

I have an extension to that question. I'm just curious to see what other people think about this:

I brought this same question up to my wife's uncle who immediately asked me if I was parked underneat high voltage lines. He mentioned there used to be a place that when he'd ride his bike under the high voltage lines he'd get shocked off of the frame and there'd be some people out there that had certain lights they could get illuminated just by moving them through the air.

When I got home I saw that I was parked directly beneath some high-voltage lines. Seeing how the vehicle isn't registered and I can't really drive it anywhere to get away from the lines, does this sound it's a pretty reasonable conclusion?
Yes it is very possible. It's called induction, the same principal that makes a transformer work.
 

·
Zombie Hunter
Joined
·
13,684 Posts
RLKBOB said:
I was a Navy Nuke for 13 years and I still glow at night, a little dimmer than I use to but still glowing.
He ain't lieing.

We went into his shed to find some parts for my truck and he didn't even have to turn a light on.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
You aint been seeing them UFOs again have you.....???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
shovelhead said:
every thing else aside you better believe a 12 volt car battery can flow enough current to melt substantial metal several hundred amps for a short time.regards shovelhead
Yes it will, but the human body has way too much resistance to carry any curent.
Try this; grab the postitve terminal with 1 hand and the negative with the other. Now your body is a direct short and does it hurt? can you even feel anything? Try it with your hands all wet now, you feel a little tingling, but nothing else thats even remotley painful. Thats a worse case senerio with getting shocked by 12 volts. Whatever is happening with the driveshaft it aint from the battery.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
Bronco Rob said:
there was high voltage lines across the wrecking yard i used to work at, you could hold up a flourescent bulb at night and it would dimly light up.
I think you are on crack.
I even tried it and it doesn't work.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,108 Posts
Yeah, the 12v isn't enough voltage to overcome your body's resistance.

You could have a bad ground to the engine or axle. (believe it or not) Bad frounds can actually burn up your U-joints, because it is arcing and passing current through it. You case seems a little odd, though. Check all your grounds.
Yeah, and this would be obvious because your battery would be dead. Arcing? I doub't it, there's too much metal contact for anything to arc... but either way, if there was a direct short, your battery would go from full to dead fairly quick, and something would be hot.
 

·
Ex Navy Nuke
Joined
·
5,420 Posts
MikE2 said:
I think you are on crack.
I even tried it and it doesn't work.
It only works on a full moon and you have to be naked and covered in chocolate syrup holding the light between your thumb and middle on your right hand with your feet pointed North. Now go try it again and do it right this time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,661 Posts
Bronco4Life said:
Yeah, the 12v isn't enough voltage to overcome your body's resistance.
I saw a guy get shocked by touching both battery posts just last week.

If you hook a voltmeter up to it do you get a reading?
 

·
Yeah- I did it-SO WHAT !!
Joined
·
512 Posts
RLKBOB said:
It only works on a full moon and you have to be naked and covered in chocolate syrup holding the light between your thumb and middle on your right hand with your feet pointed North. Now go try it again and do it right this time.
:wacko
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,893 Posts
RLKBOB said:
It only works on a full moon and you have to be naked and covered in chocolate syrup holding the light between your thumb and middle on your right hand with your feet pointed North. Now go try it again and do it right this time.
Might work then, I'll give it a try.

I still say you all are full of shit. I used to work on high voltage lines, actually touching them, and I never noticed anything like this. Flashlights and hardhat lights only lit up when turned on, and we even had cordless crimpers that was exactally like an 18 volt cordless drill except it had dies on the end instead of a chuck and I would hang that thing right on the 17,000 volt hot powerline when I wasn't using it and it didn't start running on it own.
If you want to get even closer to the high voltage, go find any ground mount transformer, and while facing the cabinet side, everything in the left cabinet is all high voltage, right side is low voltage 120/140. Stick your flourescent light right on it and tell me if it glows.
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top