Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered 4 RS 5000 shocks a while back for my Bronco and never got around to putting them on. They were supposedly for a 4 inch lift. My question is will I be able to use these same shocks on a 6 inch lift, or will I have problems with the travel length on the shocks being too short. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Go to the Rancho website and check the specs. The have the part numbers for each listed.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good idea, thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,512 Posts
travel extension will be limited due to the shorter stroke .. they will work , but you should have correct units for full articulation Bro .. there is also a good possibility that they could blow if you drop them hard into a whole and you don't touch bottom ... if the shock is the only thing supporting the weight of the axle

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
Damager said:
there is also a good possibility that they could blow if you drop them hard into a whole and you don't touch bottom ... if the shock is the only thing supporting the weight of the axle
are you saying his shock is going to explode if his tire comes off the ground? that doesn't make any sense.

also, using the 4" shocks, you will not have as much total length so you won't have as much droop. but you have a 4" lift anyway, are you wanting to use these on your SAS? you should just use the F250 shock mount so you can get away from the stud end shocks that the TTB bucket forces you to use.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Andy, I am going to be using the F250 shock mount, in fact I just got them in the mail yesterday. I was going to use the 4 inch shocks for my lift if I could get away with it, but from what I've seen I need to go with the 6 inch coils so I don't have to chop up the cross member.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Andy351 said:
are you saying his shock is going to explode if his tire comes off the ground? that doesn't make any sense.

also, using the 4" shocks, you will not have as much total length so you won't have as much droop. but you have a 4" lift anyway, are you wanting to use these on your SAS? you should just use the F250 shock mount so you can get away from the stud end shocks that the TTB bucket forces you to use.
I think what he is getting at is if the shock is too short, front or rear, what will be holding everthing up, axle and suspension? The shock. The shock should have enough down travel so it never is fully extended, allowing the suspension to do it's thing. don't know if it would blow out the shock, but it certainly is not setup up properly in this situation.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
ok this is freakn dejavu since I was just reading '4-wheeler' and the same question came up.

their responce was they would not do it as down travel would be limited and the chance of bottoming out is pretty good. and you dont really wanna bottom out a shock.

·
negative creep
8,651 Posts
jermil01 said:
Andy, I am going to be using the F250 shock mount, in fact I just got them in the mail yesterday. I was going to use the 4 inch shocks for my lift if I could get away with it, but from what I've seen I need to go with the 6 inch coils so I don't have to chop up the cross member.
if the shocks are for a TTB lift, they won't work with the F250 mount. the F250 uses a bolt, just like the bottom mount; the TTB mount has the stud on the end, that passes through the hole with the rubber bushing.

damager, i understand you a little better now, i thought you meant that it would litterally explode. :shocked

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
Andy351 said:
if the shocks are for a TTB lift, they won't work with the F250 mount. the F250 uses a bolt, just like the bottom mount; the TTB mount has the stud on the end, that passes through the hole with the rubber bushing.
You just need to go and look up the proper length shock and proper end. I don't use the TTB front shocks anymore (stem on top). Mine are from my rear, bolt up top, with a little custom bracket.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts