Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This has probably been covered a 1000 times but i cant find a good answer :banghead

I am looking at shocks and noticed that these doetsch shocks have a bump stop on them. Im probably not going to be getting any air on my bronco (only doing some light offroading) is it necessary to have shocks with bump stops or even extend the stock bump stops?

Thanks guys

http://broncograveyard.com/bronco/i-23410-doetch-tech-2-lift-front-front-of-axle.html

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone run these shocks? Anyone actually need to extend their bump stop to stop bottoming out? It seems like most guys dont do anything with there bump stops....

·
Registered
54 Posts
You might get some binding when doing some hard flexing, your tires hitting your body and what-not, it just depends on how careful you want to be. You'll probably bottom your tires out on something before you bottom your shocks or any frame/axle/steering part. You can blow a tire or tear up your fenders if you aren't careful though. I wouldn't do bumpstops on shocks, I'd replace the stock ones on the frame with taller ones. It can be sort of a pain measuring for longer ones. I also remember the ones on my 78 F150 being a pain to get off, though I was new to turning wrenches.

I've not extended the stops on my 1990 Bronco and haven't had an issue yet, but I have a TTB front-end and 6'' of lift with 33'' tires, so I have plenty of room to work with, though I do jump it a lot. From what I'm seeing, your tires feel your wells pretty tight, with a solid axle frontend, it isn't going to be hard for you to bottom your tires out on your fenders. It's not fun measuring for really accurate bump-stops, most jacks wont lift you high enough, usually it's easiest to do with the springs off and tires on unless you have access to a big lift like at a shop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts