Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start rant.....

I brought my 30k mile Daily Driver '05 Explorer (easy on road wife driven miles) truck to the dealer today to do the front pinion seal under warranty. Truck had a bit of oil slung on the oil pan and crossmember and some droplets hanging off the diff. Must be a common problem because I see some other threads on the explorer board about this. I have done these before but also looked at the job in the service manual first to see what the dealer was gonna do. I would of done it myself but the weather is cold and it is warranty work.
Well I picked up the truck and drove the 3 miles home. Feels good in 4wd but got under it anyhow to see what they did. I first thought they didn't do shit because all the oil was still all over under the truck and hanging off the diff. The only evidence I can see was a couple marks on the pinion nut and a couple of fresh threads (about 1/8") of the pinion gear showing.

I am not happy at this point.

I wipe everything down and spray off with brake cleaner, test drive and crawl under again. Everything is still dry and does not apear to be leaking but......
Service manual says to replace pinion nut but it looks to still be the origional and it was not on the parts list on the invoice. I see no evidence the flange was indexed to insure it was returned to its origional position. But most off all if they did not take the time to clean the oil down, did they take the time to baseline the pinion preload and reset it properly after replacing the seal? Plus to me it seams an 1/8" of new pinion gear threads showing past the nut seems excessive.
I called the dealer and let the service "advisor" hear my complaints. Asked to talk to the tech but they would not let me. Expressed my complaints about their work but he just kept apologizing and told me to bring the truck back. No way. What are they gonna do, I already cleaned it and it will do no good to take it apart again and maybee make it worse.

If there are any dealer techs out there or other mechanics reading this please chime in. I need to confirm proper procedure was not taken so I at least will feel better and not think I was out of line chewing out the advisor like I did. If I am over reacting let me know also.

Rant over...

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Freehold ford?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,191 Posts
If its not leaking, I see no problem. I think what they did was right, but then again Ive never gone to a stealership. Dont know about you, but I use bolts/nuts over and if it only has 30K on it; its not been used very much, I wouldn't worry, but hey, its your car.

KC :beer

·
Registered
3,423 Posts
If its not leaking, I see no problem. I think what they did was right, but then again Ive never gone to a stealership. Dont know about you, but I use bolts/nuts over and if it only has 30K on it; its not been used very much, I wouldn't worry, but hey, its your car.

KC :beer

understand that threads stretch... those nuts are replaced because they are a mechanical locking nut... they are DESIGNED to go on ONCE... the pinion nut should have been repalced

sorry to hear man... i dont get how tightening the nut will stop the leak...

dc

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts