Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm starting to collect all the necessary data for my 86 302/5.0 EFI rebuild and I'm leaning towards a stock bottom, gt 40 p heads and FMSR headers that plug & play, information I got from a number of threads here already.

My questions are;

what is a reasonable price to pay for a stock reman short block with core exchange?

what is a resonable price to pay to have my short block rebuilt?

I'm scowering the net etc. EBay has a local www.on-lineracer.com offering one for $889 but it's for an 84 302/5.0 don't know if it's for EFI yet.

Any good sources out there let me know please.

Thanks ~ :thumbup

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
If you want GT40P heads look for a used 1997-2001 Explorer 5.0L engine.
You'll get a roller cam, and possibly some extra EFI parts to sell on ebay.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
If I was building from a shortblock up, I would use X heads before the P heads.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm trying to come up with a practical, reliable rebuilt motor as a DD and I like the idea of the 302 stock bottom with gt40p heads and FMSR plug & play headers and roller rockers of some kind but I 'm still compiling and shopping around, my $5000 commission comes next week so I want to itemize and decide soon.

I don't want to hassel with spark plug header fabrication because I'm not equipped for that, but 1 or 2 90 degree boot angles is no big deal.

That being said, what's the difference between gt40x vs gt40p heads? the senario above doesn't require any fabricating etc. according to one of the FSB brothers who's already done this.

My 86 302 is what, around 185hp? so the idea of bolting on an extra 40hp with the heads and maybe 10hp more with headers is appealing, I'm not looking to hot rod you know just a staright forward combo with some of these parts.

I'm not sure I want to deviate from a purist sense, KISS. how compilcated is setting up the 5.0 Explorer with the BKO PCM, motor mounts, all connectors, what cost to rebuild etc etc.........................?

·
Registered
605 Posts
Maybe someone can vouch for a Dyno but I wouldn't think the P heads alone would give 40hp.

The E7 headed Broncos had around 185hp and the later 302 Explorers only had 205hp. I think they also had a GT40-like intake, roller cam and some other goodies as well.
I know '86's didn't have E7's but I din't think there was that big of a difference between them.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gt40 heads advertise "bolt on 40hp" now relative to my BKO whether that's accuarte or not remains to be discovered, I'm a believer..
I'm pushing 59 this April and I'm a home garage mechanic with limited tools but willing skills watching the bucks. I figure the basics like a stock 302 short block, gt 40 heads of some type, FMSR headers, roller rockers, new fuel injectors and water pump etc. will float around $2000.00 and a few extra items I'd like to throw in such as a 3G alternator etc. where does it end, so $2k isnt that bad for a staright forward replacement like this.
I looking for overall mechanical simplicity, does that make sense...............?

Anything above 185hp is a plus no? I'm just looking at the some total parts and $$$$ to improve my DD. So no matter how much you analyize something, the grass is always greener, there 's always a faster gunfighter, a prettier woman, a faster car etc etc. " A man's got to know his limitations" right ........? The best choice from the best data.

Listen all your input is " invaluable " to me to get the best bang for the buck and to collect enough data to make an informed decision that WORK$$$$$, right?

Thanks, I'll keep digging with your help for the right $ equation!

"YOU FSB GUYS RAWKS"

Thanks Guys ~ :beer

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moonraker:

I think the 86 BKO's had these E7 heads which weren't a good OEM design, so I just looking for a decent tweek on the motor if you know what I mean, KISS.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Moonraker:

I think the 86 BKO's had these E7 heads which weren't a good OEM design, so I just looking for a decent tweek on the motor if you know what I mean, KISS.

E7 heads were used on 5.0 Mustangs and are a decent design.

E7 refers to the first 2 characters of the part number which translates to the 1987 model year.

Who knows maybe you're right and the '86's did have the E7 heads.
Seems strange that they would though considering '86's were being produced in 1985.
Maybe it had something to do with Back to the Future coming out in '85??
:shocked

regardless, I do understand that the '86 heads were an inferior design.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That makes sense, but somewhere in the mix of threads I recall reading about the 86 heads weren't that good........? I'll have to go back to some old threads and refresh my brain ~ lol lol :doh0715:

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
I figure the basics like a stock 302 short block, gt 40 heads of some type, FMSR headers, roller rockers, new fuel injectors and water pump etc. will float around $2000.00 and a few extra items I'd like to throw in such as a 3G alternator etc. where does it end, so $2k isnt that bad for a staright forward replacement like this.
2 grand would be a great price to get away with all that. let me know how it works out for you. keep in mind oem short blocks are just the rotating assembly, no cam, oil pump,oil pan, timing set.... i'm looking at my 351 build and the heads alone are gonna run me 2g's with out the rockers and lifters.

:drinkbud

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
That makes sense, but somewhere in the mix of threads I recall reading about the 86 heads weren't that good........? I'll have to go back to some old threads and refresh my brain ~ lol lol :doh0715:

whats the cast nimber on your heads?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
jeck over on corral. there was a guy in nc who had a set of cast gt-40's

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
c-dub:
Not sure of cast numbers but I just read a thread and I have E-6 heads but I did read somewhere they weren't that great.

I'm trying to put feelers out for a complete short block and I think there is a place AZ off of EBay that has one for around $ 7-800 and another here in Cali fo $889.00 but I'm waiting for a confirms. Most complete stock long blocks are running $12-1300. 2K give or take total I figure, push comes to shove, I pull mine and get it rebuilt and save the old heads and exhaust headers so if I ever sell the BKO it can go back to oem stock etc.

OK who's this guy in NC with the GT 40 hreads.............?

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I went back and checked some old threads and my heads are the E-6 type (ie:1986) and not that great an OEM design as it reads. :doh0715:

Finally got my money so I'll be busy finalizing my list of parts! ~ :chili:

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Money in hand as of Thurs. $5,000 CASH ~ :chili:
Know to get down to some hard core searching and data collection, I need to go back and re-read all these threads again and jot down parts numers and contact sources to come up with the best selection.:rockon

The hard part is getting the motor in even though my neighbor offered help, he is restoring a Vette, he has an engine hoist, stand and tons of tools but I just suffered a FAWKEN hernia ~ CUTE................................! :cry

Grin and bear it, this needs too be done, lots of pain DRUGS ........ lol lol

As soon as I get everything lined up I will share it, thanks for all the help and info ~ :thumbup

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
fyi, i picked up the "ford engine parts interchange" book from boarders one day, lots of good info.

·
Premium Member
9,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
c-dub:
I'll look into that, I think almost all the information I need is in all the threads I read thru just need to go back, check and verify and PM anyone that has done this so I fully understand and not miss anything critical etc. Chasing down parts isn't all that bad so I'll be busy this week. Aslo trying to see if there's anyway I can shave off money but still get what I want. :rockon

1 - 18 of 18 Posts