Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who here has shortend an axle???

I have a buddy that wants to shorten a 44 & 9 inch for a Samuri....

Any good write ups????

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
burnedbronco or badassbronco...or whatever he's callin himself now had a thread of re-tubing an axle one time... It wasn't a step-by-step, but was pretty informational :shrug

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I know on a 9 inch axle you have to cut it back about 4 inches or so to get to the larger dia of the axle so you have enough metal to recut the splines. I would have to go out side to see if a D44 axle can be done. The reason I say this is because factory splines are rolled and not cut and rolled splines has a smaller dia to start with which is a smaller dia than an axle that would have cut splines.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
front axle is cake to do
take it down to just gears in the housing, remove the inner C parts of the housing and then band saw off how much you want on one side or both, then hammer the c's back on, then weld. have shafts resplinned or custom lenths made.

the rear is a little tricier. you need to cut off the bearing housings, then cut off the amount of tube you dont want to use, then make a jig to align it well so it i true. i use a 3' straight edge clamped to the flat part of the bearing retainer as the extra length lets me see if i have the end cocked in relation to the housinng tube.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone..Ill pass the word onto him...Trying to get him to just buy a set of early bronco axels that I found cheap...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
MUDDOG7375 said:
Thanks everyone..Ill pass the word onto him...Trying to get him to just buy a set of early bronco axels that I found cheap...
front needs to be passanger side drop................

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BurnedB said:
front needs to be passanger side drop................
HMMMM???????....Im sure he would know that but he said he needs driver side drop...Ill have to ask him for sure what he needs...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts