Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yes, similar questions have been asked/answered previously, but a lot of those threads are over a decade old so I'm wondering if there is new information out there or additional input. Also, I don't need to know so much about which headers do you recommend/will they fit as much as the EGR tube issue.

In short, I need to remove my long tube headers and install shorty headers on my 84 (lift created fitment issues).

Take for instance, I'm considering the Flowtech's Part Number: 387-91628-1 that are advertised to fit for 86-95 (mine's an 84). I see this date range is due to the EGR.

What I can't find is how do y'all plug this tube? I saw where someone used some sort of 3/4" fitting on theirs (Summit/JBA?), but it wasn't Flowtech, and as I've never had to plug one, is this a universal fix/fit?

Second, as far as the Y-pipe, do y'all recommend getting everything custom made after the headers, or is there still a y-pipe available on the market that would fit my model year without issue? I've seen a lot of old threads about the Bassani Y-pipe but I don't even know if that would fit. The only one I can find is 58150B2 which is for 88-up.

Feel free to yell at me for bringing up a header question, but I want to make sure I can make it work before I spend the cash.

Thanks!!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
(Yelling at you for bringing up a header question!!!) Lol

So any y-pipe for an 80-96 with a 351 will physically fit, but may need a plug in any o2 sensor bungs if you dont have an o2 sensor.

Ive built two y-pipes, and prefer them over any one ive seen for sale. They are built around a flowmaster scavenger y-collector, using mandrel bends.

I know on the summit shorties for the newer 351s, the EGR bung is about 1.25" in diameter. 3/4" NPT is about that size so that may work. I went ahead and hooked up the egr on my 96 (F350, so still speed density) even though the rest of my smog stuff has been deleted.

I had long tubes with a 4, then 6" lift with no issues. Where is the clearance issue?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
(Yelling at you for bringing up a header question!!!) Lol

So any y-pipe for an 80-96 with a 351 will physically fit, but may need a plug in any o2 sensor bungs if you dont have an o2 sensor.

Ive built two y-pipes, and prefer them over any one ive seen for sale. They are built around a flowmaster scavenger y-collector, using mandrel bends.

I know on the summit shorties for the newer 351s, the EGR bung is about 1.25" in diameter. 3/4" NPT is about that size so that may work. I went ahead and hooked up the egr on my 96 (F350, so still speed density) even though the rest of my smog stuff has been deleted.

I had long tubes with a 4, then 6" lift with no issues. Where is the clearance issue?
Oh there's no way I'm going to attempt to make my own, but I may (will) see if a local shop will do the whole system for me. As far as the clearance issues, I'll post the picture below. It's how the driveshaft and header are sitting now. Granted, the frame is up on jack stands right now, but seems a little too close for comfort?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh there's no way I'm going to attempt to make my own, but I may (will) see if a local shop will do the whole system for me. As far as the clearance issues, I'll post the picture below. It's how the driveshaft and header are sitting now. Granted, the frame is up on jack stands right now, but seems a little too close for comfort?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,318 Posts
Oh man if thats it, take a torch to the header and move it a bit. Luckily, as the motor torques, it moves away from the driveshaft. Then do the same to the pipe.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh man if thats it, take a torch to the header and move it a bit. Luckily, as the motor torques, it moves away from the driveshaft. Then do the same to the pipe.
Oh I'll leave that up to whoever does the exhaust! Lol. That's one of those jobs I'm leaving to the experts. Plus, those headers are so rusted. The whole exhaust is in bad shape. Gonna try and make it pretty and add a spintech muffler, etc. I don't care for the way they routed it and it's dumped under the cab. I want it exited out behind the rear wheel wells.

Thank you for the info on the y-pipe & headers! I'm also considering the Holley Sniper EFI kit and need to learn more about it before I go changing much. I'm assuming it requires an o2 sensor to calibrate itself. Job for another time though....

·
Addicted to Junk
12,318 Posts
Gotcha! The bassani pipe is the best way to go really, as most shops wont do mandrel bends, or will charge out the arse for it.

Adding an O2 sensor is easy. A hole needs drilled about 6" from the merge of both sides of exhaust. Then an O2 sensor bung welded on. Then you just route the sensor down there and screw it in. This would be something you should have the shop do with tye rest of the exhaust. Then get a plug for it, which sometimes comes with the bung. Then you can add the O2 sensor at any time.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Gotcha! The bassani pipe is the best way to go really, as most shops wont do mandrel bends, or will charge out the arse for it.

Adding an O2 sensor is easy. A hole needs drilled about 6" from the merge of both sides of exhaust. Then an O2 sensor bung welded on. Then you just route the sensor down there and screw it in. This would be something you should have the shop do with tye rest of the exhaust. Then get a plug for it, which sometimes comes with the bung. Then you can add the O2 sensor at any time.

Absolutely! Thanks! I'll start gathering materials! (Headers/Y-pipe). Just wanted to confirm those would work. Tip of the hat to you sir.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts