Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Shorty Headers

Tags
5.0l headers
5K views 13 replies 5 participants last post by  Stevo440 
#1 ·
So let me start by saying that I'm not here to make more power and that I'm also a student and don't have a lot of cash to throw around. Now, my passenger side exhaust manifold is completely cracked in half and I could replace it with another stock style manifold for around $70 but if possible I'd like to throw a set of shorty headers on to remove the issue of the stock manifolds cracking because I'm sure the driver side one will crack eventually too with how many miles my truck has and how much highway driving I do. My budget is $300 and I'd like to spend less if possible. I know with headers you typically get what you pay for and I've spent a while looking for some decent headers and haven't found any that have reviews that give me confidence that they'll bolt up with at most minor adjustments. So my question is do you guys have any recommendations for a budget set of shorty headers?

#2 ·
Summit Racing/Pacesetter branded ones are in your budget and perform well. You will need to strip the "shipping paint" and use a high temp paint on em. They bolt right up to factory exhaust.

#4 ·
I was a little hesitant on those because I'd seen quite a few mixed reviews on them not quite bolting up to the y-pipe correctly but after going through BikerPepe's writeup I think those reviews were the result of installer inexperience. I probably won't paint them unless I really feel bothered to but I'll definitely strip the paint off instead of having it burn off
^^^ THAT! ^^^

Did the same and made a write-up on it here but since I can't find my ass with my hands anymore, you'll have to find it for yourself. Good stuff in there and it grew and grew over the years.
Found it and I'm glad I did. My bronco has a 302 but I imagine the headers aren't all that different between the two install-wise and such. Thanks!

#5 ·
Anybody ever seen these?

If those even halfway fit right, it would be worth it just for the stainless steel. There are long tube versions also:

I would be less inclined to try the long tubes because there is almost invariably going to be some fitment issues with the front driveshaft on the left side and the starter on the right side. But if someone is feeling froggy, this might be a place to jump.

#8 · (Edited)
Anybody ever seen these?

If those even halfway fit right, it would be worth it just for the stainless steel. There are long tube versions also:
I do not see the EGR tube on those Shorty headers but they sound great for the price and the pics look good and they are Stainless with a nice size flange. As for any flow restrictions you might see/imagine there is really no major/noticeable power improvement from using Shorty headers, the tubes are too short to accomplish anything positive. They are a Direct replacement CONVENIENCE for Stock Cast manifolds. This has been PROVEN time and time again in Dyno Videos.

#7 ·
So, I bought a set of the cheapo eBay shorties. I figured for 100 bucks it's worth a shot just to see what they look like. Now, I don't have my motor put together yet, so I can't attest to how they fit in the truck or if there will be any clearance issues with the block, but I will say for the price, the quality appears to be just fine. The flanges are 3/8" and are straight. The tube welds to the flanges are ugly, but welded from the inside and then ground down so they're not a restriction. You could touch up the area even more if you want, which is probably what I'll do.

The pipe flange is TIG-welded and looks good. The opening for the included collector is only 2 1/8", so there may be a flow restriction there for larger motors, but I may see if I can open that up some and still get a good seal to the collector. I'm nearly certain there's enough material to open it up 1/16 on each side making the hole 2 1/4" which is the size of most of down pipes anyway. Might even be able to go a little bigger, not sure yet.

I don't know the thickness of the tube material - it's either 16 or 18 gauge, but for shorties, 18 is plenty strong. I'm most impressed with the 3/8" flanges, but I've read that some of the bolt holes don't exactly line up with the heads. Big deal, I say, because for $100, I can be bothered to grind them out a little to get them to fit.

All in all, I'm happy with the purchase so far. I'll report back if I encounter any problems.

#10 ·
Those shorties are for 78 and prior. I would be leary that they say 289-302-351w. Likely wont match up to a stock exhaust on a 90s bronco. Might, but might not. Not even the pace setters are the same for 302 vs 351.

They do look good.

#12 ·
Those are sold for $250-$275 everywhere else on the Internet. I'd be leery of buying from a website advertising $250 headers for $99. They do fit the OP's 5.0L, but wont' work with a 5.8L according to Hedman's website.

The cheapo eBay shorties won't work with either engine in a Bronco with the factory downpipes because they use a 3-bolt flange that is TIG welded to the headers. However, if you're modifying the factory exhaust for whatever reason, these come with their own collectors that could be grafted into the factory downpipes, probably with enough slack to move them around to fit. I don't know for sure about that, but I'm building a custom exhaust anyway, so I know I can make them work for my application.

#14 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.