Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've come across a 90 Bronco by EB. No rust, the undercarriage is coated. New brakes, tires, front and rear bumpers, master cylinder, fuel pump, and a couple other things. Only two owners and the second one is a body/engine guy who put about 5k into (so he says, I don't really doubt it). He wants 4k if I do cash (which I will) and I was wondering what you guys thought. Only the interior is beat with a tear in the driver seat and a piece of silver trim missing on the driver's door.

Also, I've been through search and stickies, being a forum goer everywhere but not on a car forum, so I hope to not ask obviously answered questions. But is there anything I need to know about this particular Bronco that would be helpful? Quirks that they have, ect...?

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Indeed I have. The brakes are super touchy due to them being brand new. The 4WD engages and disengages just fine for push button. Not to mention it has a lot of get up and go compared to my current Pathgrinder. Drives fine, just a lot bigger than what I'm used to.

Anything that you were looking for when you asked that?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Check your area to see what most broncos seem to be going for. In my area 4 grand would be a good deal... But It may be too high in other areas.

As far as problems go: Rust over the rear wheels and on the Tailgate are huge problems on all Broncos. Another big one is the back window not working, which can be fairly easy to fix. The biggest one you need to worry about is the transmission. Is it an Over Drive Transmission? Is the truck a 302 or 351? If it is a 351, it has an E4OD transmission, which is very prone to wearing out, and very expensive to replace ($3000.00). If it hasnt been replaced yet, it will most likely need it in the future. Make sure you beat on it before you buy it. When I bought my 90, I knew to check the transmission, and it seemed fine during normal driving, and even when you would punch it on the highway. So I bought it, and shortly after noticed that the tranny in it slipped when you would hammer on it from a low speed...

If its a 302, you may have an AOD, which is also pretty sensitive, but not as expensive to rebuild. It cant take as much power in stock form as an E4OD. You can tell which transmission you have by checking the dash for the "over drive OFF" switch, if it has one, its an e4od. If not, its an AOD. If its a 3 speed, its a C6. However, I dont believe the C6 was available in a 90.

A third problem that you have already checked, is the auto locking 4WD. The push button system can be a bitch to fix, and the auto locking hubs often break. If they do, most guys swap in manual hubs.

Pretty much anything you need to know can be found on this site if you look hard enough. I hate to be the guy that says to "search", but this question has been asked before (not that it really matters). I find the search function is only useful if you use "Advanced Search", and even then you sometimes have to slog through them to find the right one. Good luck with the truck. :)
Do you have any pics of it?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Kinda high in this area. Look for leaks from anywhere and see how bad the rust is. If your not sure enought in your skills check with your mechanic.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well the top's never been off on it because the current and previous owners had had problems with their previous Broncos and air leaks after they took them off. There appears to be nothing wrong with it anywhere...That's what worries me of course.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Usually by 90 they leak oil and powersteering pretty good. Well my 90 does...but it has 190k on it and I only paid $1000.

Most 90s I see being sold are going for 1500-3500. It all depends on the condition...some that are mint are going for 8 or 9k.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm likely paying a little too much, but at this point I want a Bronco so bad and there are only five or so in my area that I found. The only other one in good condition is 8k. eh.

Anyone else have some opinions?

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have a 94 with 160,000mi. Just surface rust on the edges that shows up cause it is White...easy fixed, interior great, after market CD, Warn manual lockouts, tires, brakes, exhaust great, and EVERYTHING works except for the ABS which is no big deal, (I got tired of chasing sensors.)
Really hard to find one up north that isn't full of rust holes. And that you can see in person as oppesed to internet photos.
In my opinion: If has 80,000 miles $4000 for a 90 with no rust is a great price. One with high milage should be only $3000.

They were asking $5000 for mine. I paid $4000. Cash for mine in Davenport, IA Nov 07. They sell slow in the midwest. Most people don't want to pay for the single didget milage. i looked for about a half year.

Good luck,
ROG

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah his has 93k miles but as far as I know it was treated really well; it's never been off road and whatnot. The only other thing I'm worried about is the undercoat covering rust, not preventing it in the undercarriage.

·
Registered
153 Posts
No Rust $4000 seems fare..tires, brakes, and exhaust good Buy it. They are easy to work on. Lots of parts. (SA truck)

http://consumerguide.cars.com

Found 8 using your Zip Code here

Usually if it is that bad it will have rust holes in the sides too. Poke it with a screwdrive.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah I just found 10 within 150 miles from my zip. Oh well. I don't think I'll find a better one (no rust, not even 100k miles) for a better price. Not to mention I can bring it back to him for help since he live on my street and works on vehicles for a living. He should know this truck since he did so much to it.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
If he lives on your street I would defiantely offer him $3500 without even a 2nd guess considering where you are and the market value of which you stated. If he's smart, he's not going to sell his neighbor a P.O.S. Plus, if you have any problems you can always manipulate him into helping you.

Try to give him $3500 cash. What does it hurt? He may so no and then if you really want it give him $4k. In my area, a 90 model bronco, no matter how few miles wouldn't go for $4000. I bought my 93 EB w/ 150k and no rust for $1700. Sometimes I think I paid too much.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I suppose if worst came to worst I would have a learning project on my hands. I go for the loan tomorrow and I'll have it under me the day I have my money.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pay the $4000.
It is a good price and you want it. No need to price him down.
Then the good neighbor will help you with any issues.

In the midwest (included the Rockford area) we have salt that eats away Broncos. For around here $1700 it would have holes in the floor and sides, interior trashed and just maybe an engine and or a transmission that works.

·
Behold my
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That is true there roger. The cheaper one I could find was 2k and it was rusty, rattle-canned, had 165k miles, and the 4WD didn't work. There was another which is the same year, make, model, and condition as this one, with better interior for 8k. So I like to feel like I'm getting a deal. :deal

1 - 19 of 19 Posts