Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm gonna have the motor out soon so I can replace it and the Bronco has 180,000 miles I figured I should probably rebuild the x-fer case. The trans was rebuilt a couple years ago and only has about 25,000 miles. I haven't had any problems with the 4wd, I just thought this would be a good idea.

What will I need to do to refresh this thing? I have all the tools (hand and air) that I would need unless there's any specialty tools then I will either buy or rent them. While I have the motor out I'm installing my axle pivot drop down brackets, all new tie rod ends and ball joints, Polyeurethene radius arm bushings and axle shafts/u-joints and replacing the auto hubs with Warn Premiums. So I should be pretty much set when I'm done with this. Any input is appreciated.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
Well, your profile says you have a '90. This is relevant, try to include it in future questions.

To "refresh" the t-case, which will be a BW1356, you'll probably want a new oil pump and chain along with all bearings and seals. The oil pump and chain are optional, but I wouldn't bother going to the time if you're not gonna replace them. Figure $250 for all this. If your planetary has excessive play, that's another $250 or so.

Pics of the rebuild on my reg page here:

http://www.superford.org/registry/vehicles/detail.php?id=139&s=13379#content

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info. I didn't include the year in the post because it's listed in my sig line. People are always telling others to fill out their sig line so they know what they have.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Keep in mind that you can get a rebuilt case with warranty for $750. So don't go nuts just to rebuild yours.

I'll post the website when I find it again. Came across one when I was searching on prices to rebuild my transmission.

·
TTB Hater of course
3,099 Posts
RLKBOB said:
Thanks for the info. I didn't include the year in the post because it's listed in my sig line. People are always telling others to fill out their sig line so they know what they have.
I blocked sigs, pages load up faster on dial-up. Something to consider

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mine either, I upgraded a long time ago. Now it's got wireless fiberoptic coax. Nothin but the best for my truck that needs a new motor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts