Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently acquired myself a 88 Bronco XLT with a 351. The engine has a 131,00 miles on it. The engine looks like it is leaking pretty good from the rear main seal and the oil pan. At best i'd call myself a shadetree mechanic. I can do the simple things as oil change, spark plugs, and simple removal and reinstallation. Would it be best to fix the rear main seal, pull the engine and fix any other leaks, or just throw another used engine in there. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. It only cost me $1000. I just wanted something to tinker with and do some light off roading. However, i don't need a leaky engine blowing up on me. Any suggestions??? By the way, if i were to change the engine are there any better engines to use at an affordable price. Ie used since new isn't cheap. I always read of guys on here swapping a 302 and etc. Is there a lot associated with that. I'd just like to know what year model bronco engine can be easily swaped with my 88 351 EFI. Thanks:banghead

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Jman78 said:
I recently acquired myself a 88 Bronco XLT with a 351. The engine has a 131,00 miles on it. The engine looks like it is leaking pretty good from the rear main seal and the oil pan. At best i'd call myself a shadetree mechanic. I can do the simple things as oil change, spark plugs, and simple removal and reinstallation. Would it be best to fix the rear main seal, pull the engine and fix any other leaks, or just throw another used engine in there. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. It only cost me $1000. I just wanted something to tinker with and do some light off roading. However, i don't need a leaky engine blowing up on me. Any suggestions??? By the way, if i were to change the engine are there any better engines to use at an affordable price. Ie used since new isn't cheap. I always read of guys on here swapping a 302 and etc. Is there a lot associated with that. I'd just like to know what year model bronco engine can be easily swaped with my 88 351 EFI. Thanks:banghead

a rear main leak is no reason to scrap an engine. do a tune up scan codes, and check compression. these engines with some care can get upwards of 300g plus on them. unusual yes, impossible no. if it runs good keep it and go with it. thats what i say.

ken

·
Yup, I'm fullsize....
1,798 Posts
I wouldn't scrap the engine because of the reasons you have listed. With a weekend and a few $$ on parts you should be able to fix the oil leaks. Start with a Haynes manual. Also, here's a few threads which are good read's for the oil pan gasket and rear main replacement:

1. oil pan gasket **56K WARNING**
2. rear main **56K WARNING**

Also look at Steve83's superford site . There is a wealth of information there.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Leaky rear is common and cheap to fix, a bit of a pain in the ass to pull, but not really a big deal if you have a couple buddies, a 12 pak and pizza. Weekend job at worst. Until then, keep a gallon of cheap oil in the back, [don't run it too low].

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
if you want to know the condition of the motor do a compression and leak down test. if compression is way out then you want to see what the leak down test finds. you might have a great motor that only needs a few seal replaced. ..mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts