Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently acquired myself a 88 Bronco XLT with a 351. The engine has a 131,00 miles on it. The engine looks like it is leaking pretty good from the rear main seal and the oil pan. At best i'd call myself a shadetree mechanic. I can do the simple things as oil change, spark plugs, and simple removal and reinstallation. Would it be best to fix the rear main seal, pull the engine and fix any other leaks, or just throw another used engine in there. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. It only cost me $1000. I just wanted something to tinker with and do some light off roading. However, i don't need a leaky engine blowing up on me. Any suggestions??? By the way, if i were to change the engine are there any better engines to use at an affordable price. Ie used since new isn't cheap. I always read of guys on here swapping a 302 and etc. Is there a lot associated with that. I'd just like to know what year model bronco engine can be easily swaped with my 88 351 EFI. Thanks:banghead

·
Engineer
13,167 Posts
I'd look for a used 351 to swap in or fix the current motor

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
You could try changing seals. Although the 1 piece rear main is a pain..and is easiest done by removing the engine. Done correctly though you will have an engine that you know did run when removed. Id take the time to pull the compression on all cylenders and if it checks pretty good remove the current engine and do some maintanance to it. IE Timing chain, gaskets and rearmain seal (Use a wear ring if required to cover the possable grove in the crankshaft caused by a bad seal)

Jeff

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,039 Posts
Jman78 said:
recently acquired myself a 88 Bronco XLT with a 351. The engine has a 131,00 miles on it. The engine looks like it is leaking pretty good from the rear main seal and the oil pan. At best i'd call myself a shadetree mechanic. I can do the simple things as oil change, spark plugs, and simple removal and reinstallation. Would it be best to fix the rear main seal, pull the engine and fix any other leaks, or just throw another used engine in there. I'm not looking to spend a fortune either. It only cost me $1000. I just wanted something to tinker with and do some light off roading. However, i don't need a leaky engine blowing up on me. Any suggestions??? By the way, if i were to change the engine are there any better engines to use at an affordable price. Ie used since new isn't cheap. I always read of guys on here swapping a 302 and etc. Is there a lot associated with that. I'd just like to know what year model bronco engine can be easily swaped with my 88 351 EFI. Thanks:banghead
How badly is it leaking? IF not that bad, you have low miles, this motor if you keep oil in it can easily go another 50k unless someone drove it low on oil in the past, which is a possibility if it's leaking badly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
If you know your engien is good, pull it, re seal the whole thing and drop it back in... the removal is really basic....

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
You should pull the engine, then send it to me. My oil pressure is gettng flaky and I have a god-awful sound coming from the valve train. I'd trade that for a leaky RMS any day.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts