Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

Should we take Nominations for January F.O.T.M.

• hold off the competition for awhile and see what happens?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here the skinny.
Basically it took over a month to even get ANY response at all from the help Desk here with all the changes. Atleast for now there is no prize of being on the front page, I can't even announce the winner of F.O.T.Y. on the home page, I also can't award the membership prize also (although eventually I think it can be done just not now)

also I have to stop doing my part with the prizes I was giving atleast for now (I have too many hospital bills at this time) but this isn't permanent

So the question and vote is we can start the nominations late and wait and see if we get some nominees with no winnings?????, or hold off the competition for awhile and see what happens????

you guys decide

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
2,806 Posts
I don't think pushing it back a little is a bad idea. The second half of December, the whole world pretty much is running on half effort anyway. It would make next year's fifth FOTM winner run pretty much two months straight, but I don't see any other feasible way.

@Quader1 you have gone above and beyond in your support of this competition with running them and your contribution of prizes and money - I don't think anyone could blame you for holding back. It seems that anywhere between 45 to 60 members follow and/or vote for each comp. If each member donated $20 toward the FOTM/FOTY 'fund', that would be a total of $1000 that could be split into five $100 gift cards to vendors like JBG, Summit, Amazon, etc. That would leave $500 for the FOTY winner for a gift card.

i wonder if we could get a sponsor to support the comps - I feel like I remember that this used to be the case a few years ago?? My wife is a professional fundraiser - she could definitely help me/us try to get sponsorship or donations. Even if we appeal to the FSB membership for donations, maybe some vendors would give us deals on gift cards for prizes - for example, maybe JBG will give us $100 gift cards for $80.

Fred - for my FOTY win, I don't need the $200 gift card code so don't worry about that. It would be cool to have the Lifetime Membership and my rig on the home page though - I thought that part of it was pretty awesome. If you guys (Admins) say it's cool with you, I can take the initiative to contact vendors and propose some sort of sponsorship - even if that is just a good deal on gift cards. Just let me know. I live 30 minutes from JBG headquarters and I'd be happy to check into it. I enjoy the hell out of this community and the members here, and it sucks that all of these format changes have affected these competitions. I'd be happy to help however I can. Let me know.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
You are so awesome @MS88Bronc

So... Thinking on this, and if I may be so bold to offer a suggestion... What about possibly, until things get settled with the changeover and everything else, how about instead of FOTM we try FOTQ (ford of the quarter). Instead of the bi monthly it seemed y'all were doing (looking at the post history for fotm), we try quarterly (every 3 (or 4) months)... This way it gives the forum a chance to come up with a new game plan, gives bronc a chance to work his plan, gives @Quader1 a bit of a chance to slow down, and gives the membership a chance to get more of their projects done. A few of us lose the whole winter because of lack of an indoor space to work 🙁
U can run nominations for like 1 month (or a bit more if u don't get enough), then give members a month to do their story and maybe like 15 days to vote...
As far as the prizes... I dunno that they're that important... Street cred is good enough for me if i ever win 😀 i mean the gift cards are nice but i think those who accept the nomination do so because they like to brag on their rigs and all the work they've done to bring em back to glory... Everything else is just gravy... So...
I dunno just thinking out loud :shrug

·
Premium Member
'95 XLT: 5.8/MAF/E4OD/6" lift/4.56's/33x12.5x15's
35,191 Posts
Having watched and guided this contest throughout FSB's lifetime and considering the changes that have been thrust upon us and the resulting discarded treatment by our forum ownership, I think that the quarterly option may be appropriate, for the time being. While I would hope this doesn't become the new norm (as reductions have with this contest over the years) it certainly makes sense to step it back again and hope it's only temporary and the more technical issues can be resolved.

As for the prizes... do we still have Bronco Driver Mag participating? For many, many years... all this contest was, was bragging rights among the forum members, a poorly designed signature "badge" to display (by yours truly) and a magazine spread anybody could get on their own by submitting the same stuff directly... and we got along just fine. As cool as it has been, as appreciated as the personal investments have been, I don't think it's at all necessary. Cool = absolutely. Required = No. Site display is has been great and who knows... maybe AutoScope will get their act together eventually and fix what they gave us so long ago but again, it is what it is and we can step it back for a bit without it being the end of the world (as much as that sucks for MS88). They're a small staff taking care of entirely too many forums... not that I have any desire to defend them (especially since they seem bounded and determined to drive away members from our beloved Bronco home).

Regardless of how it goes, which decisions are made and what, if anything AutoScope decides to do in the future... I'm sure I can speak for most everyone when I say "Thank you" to our great staff and our participating members. This contest is a considerable commitment, whether you're running it or just running in it and we all appreciate the efforts made and enjoy all the hard work you fine folks do so we can dig on each others rides and share some of the journeys they represent.

God speed on the medical end @Quader1 and thank you, again.
FWIW, I'm strapped as can be but I'd kick a $20 out to support the ongoing efforts. Just have to wait until "next year". ;)

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,806 Posts
Hey @BikerPepe` to answer your question - Bronco Driver is participating and honoring the FOTM prize of a write up and one year subscription. My write up was just published in this last issue. I posted pics of all the pages in the closing days of the FOTY thread.

So with the proposed FOTQ would that be three winners during the year and then a three way shootout for FOTY? With the trend of (a) having a hard time getting 5 nominees and (b) having a hard time getting all 5 nominees actually participate in the comp, quarterly may be the way to go. I would just hate to see another reduction in the comps translate into an “out of sight, out of mind” thing and ultimately culminate in its demise in the end.

So with the new format changes, it sounds like the admins no longer have the ability to change the home page? And accessing and changing members’ account settings (for FS and LT memberships) isn’t possible either? That’s just terrible. I don’t think a cash/gift card is necessary either, it was just gravy. Bragging rights are cool, but if we can’t showcase it on the home page, where do we brag? Lol. (shrug)

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bronco Driver mag is still participating I forgot to mention. I’m sure we can get the foty the banner for the year, and im sure we can get the subscriptions for the winners it will just take time as I’m not able to do it with the changes in the forum

·
Registered
430 Posts
It’s early so forgive me if this doesn’t line up. A comp every 3 months would give 4 contestants for a foty runoff. Having only 3 people in it seems like a slim pack. Just a thought

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,806 Posts
Maybe we could just do noms in Jan, Mar, June, and Sept, with comps in Feb, Apr, Jul, and Oct. FOTY could run from Nov 15 to Dec 15 (to give a two week break between the October winner and start of FOTY). The front end of the year is loaded a bit, but to get 4 rigs AND leave time for them to compete in FOTY it would be needed if we didn't want to do noms in the preceding december for a Jan run. Dunno - my 2 cents.

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,082 Posts
I like the quarterly idea. March, June, September. Three way battle for the FOTY in November and December. We only have three competitors in this current FOTY and it's a good show. We could allow more in the "monthly" competitions, if the nominations are there.

Prizes were never the draw for me. It would be the satisfaction of being the best bronco on this site for a few months. It's all about the GLORY! Lol

·
The Tennessee Warden
2,806 Posts
So has there been a consensus on how FOTM/FOTY will happen this year. Sounds like everyone agrees on a quarterly system, so what would the time line look like? Just curious...

·
Super Moderator
23,875 Posts
So has there been a consensus on how FOTM/FOTY will happen this year. Sounds like everyone agrees on a quarterly system, so what would the time line look like? Just curious...
Yo MS,
I suggest quarter Jan to Mar be voted on by last day of March.
Giddeup!

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
11,082 Posts
I say spend the first 2 months looking for contestants and the third doing the competition. So Jan and Feb are the recruiting months and March is the show. Then april and may with June as the FOTM. Then July and August to search for September FOTM. October is empty with November 1st through December 15th as the FOTY.

With fewer competitions, I say we up the max number of contenders for each month to 6 or 7. I realize we have had issues getting a full group and having all 5 regularly post in the past. However, having 2 months to find contestants will help that maybe, and if we do find say 7, and 2 fizzle out, we still have 5 participating contestants.

·
Administrator
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I say spend the first 2 months looking for contestants and the third doing the competition. So Jan and Feb are the recruiting months and March is the show. Then april and may with June as the FOTM. Then July and August to search for September FOTM. October is empty with November 1st through December 15th as the FOTY.

With fewer competitions, I say we up the max number of contenders for each month to 6 or 7. I realize we have had issues getting a full group and having all 5 regularly post in the past. However, having 2 months to find contestants will help that maybe, and if we do find say 7, and 2 fizzle out, we still have 5 participating contestants.
So like this and then 3 for FOTY ?

Sounds good to me

1 - 20 of 21 Posts