Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some good ideas here guys........We bought our house 2 years ago in an upper class 'hood so our kids can go to good public schools here. 2 weeks after being in our house, I got a visit from a city inspector following up on a complaint from 1 set of our neighbors about our 8 foot privacy fence, that was there when we bought the house. in a nutshell...our neighbors had a picket fence 20 years ago ....until they got trashy...then the sellers of our house put in a 6ft fenc e then an 8 ft fence, city code only allows a 6 ft fence without permission. Bottom line....I pay $400 and go before the city and keep the fence or get the neighbors to sign something saying the don't mind the fence anymore..........Who has any good ideas on pressuring them .ere are some pics of their back yard. PS we live in a watershed/protected area, so the city really wouldn't like the picture of the motorcycle parked on top of dirt with an overturned gas can next to it.

Any creative ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1996 Bronco 5.0/E4OD/BW1356
1,518 Posts
Wow - if I had to look at that dump I'd probaly build a 10 foot fence...

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Their yard really doesn't look that bad and I bet if they where nice people (or owned a bko) you wouldn't mind it as much. Did that house file the complaint? You can legally have the papers filed copied for you. You'll have to do some research but if you sue them, they'll get brought up. Have an inspector come out and find (or define) where the property line is. Have them tell you its on their land and it's out of your hands. Now if you want to keep the fence, go make peace with them and ask them to drop it over some drinks. I recently was told I had to move my SAS axles. They where in the front to the left of my drive way by the fence and I was told they couldn't be in plain sight. Also study the city code, maybe there is a loop hole like not over 6ft when within 20 ft of a building or something to that effect.

·
ford freak
731 Posts
I would let the neighbor know that the city wont approve of the way they are treating their yard, especially in a watershed. if that does not work, then go before the city with the photos, and make your case. usually people on boards like that have standards similar to you and will MAKE the guy clean up his yard.

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
Amazing that they have a trash dump in their back yard and have the gall to call the city to complain about your fence.

I would go to them and ask them to sign your variance. If they sign the Variance so you don't have to look at their yard you can ignore their storage habits. But if they won't you will pay the $400 to the city for the Variance and then you will report them for the "junk yard" they are keeping in their back yard. I can't believe your city doesn't have ordinances about such behavior.
:beer

·
Registered
113 Posts
you could give your neighbors $200 to say they dont care. or you could file a complaint about there backyard

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. The fence is 6 inches onto our property. So it is mine.
2. I've tried to talk to them and had the door slammed in my face.
3. The wife of the house is just mad that her picket fence is gone on our side.:histerica
......these people suck....my wife is a Dr...and even knocked on their door to give them free medical advice when their daughter lost teeth in a bike crash.I am thinking about showing them pictures of their back yard, etc, and telling them that my lawyer and the city already has copies of them ....and asking them if they would like to procede with it.....
.....I don't want to file a complaint about them just yet. I would like to be the bigger person here. ......oh yeah I have the Pres/and Vice Pres of the HOA ready to sign a letter on my behalf and sent to the city also.

·
0 Posts
Id spend the 400.00 and get approved.

probably the most painless way to go.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Their yard really doesn't look that bad and I bet if they where nice people (or owned a bko) you wouldn't mind it as much. Did that house file the complaint? You can legally have the papers filed copied for you. You'll have to do some research but if you sue them, they'll get brought up. Have an inspector come out and find (or define) where the property line is. Have them tell you its on their land and it's out of your hands. Now if you want to keep the fence, go make peace with them and ask them to drop it over some drinks. I recently was told I had to move my SAS axles. They where in the front to the left of my drive way by the fence and I was told they couldn't be in plain sight. Also study the city code, maybe there is a loop hole like not over 6ft when within 20 ft of a building or something to that effect.
Not that bad? It looks pretty damn bad to me. I would be pissed if my neighbors house and yard looked like that. Not only is it shitty to look at, but it lowers the value of your house as well.

I say file a complaint about their yard, and make them clean it up and make it presentable.

And I would say build a fence that is the right height.

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Take the pics to the hearing and simply tell the board you'd love a six foot fence, but with neighbors like those you'd like to keep your 8 footer... If they approve the varience your good to go... If not, snap a chalk line and grab a chainsaw.... That 8footer can be a 6footer in about ten minutes... Then burn all the scrap in your patio fireplace on some spring morning when their windows are open the winds blowing right at them.... Don't forget to paint "your" fence with random mismatched paint from the paint store.. It cheaper to buy the mismatched stuff anyway... Think every other picket a new color....
From the sounds of it, you'll never get them to agree to helping you out, so you might as well F#ck with them for fun...

Fog

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't forget to paint "your" fence with random mismatched paint from the paint store.. It cheaper to buy the mismatched stuff anyway... Think every other picket a new color....
From the sounds of it, you'll never get them to agree to helping you out, so you might as well F#ck with them for fun...

Fog
mmmmmm...If the fence is on my side of the property line....could I paint their side of the fence?

·
Sneaky Ba$tard
2,982 Posts
Around here yes.... I helped my brother in law do it last year.... We had to redo it due to complaints about the "pictograms and lettering" but the zoning guy told us as long as there are not pictures or writing of any kind it was ok... Since it had pictures and writing it was considered a mural and required a permit... Once we repainted it, it was fine.... The neighbors complained and threatned to sue, but nothing ever came of it.....

Fog

·
Man with a Golden ticket
4,003 Posts
mmmmmm...If the fence is on my side of the property line....could I paint their side of the fence?
Yes but you would have to reach over with a roller or something from your side so that you were not trespassing to do it.

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
Talk to the zoning person and explain your situation. They could explain some stuff you might not know about (Other regs and stuff).

But to my knowledge the whole ordeal is because they have a crappy yard, so the 8 foot fence is needed. if the yard is clean then a 6 footer would be fine.

So just explain what their options are. Either sign and say OK to the 8 foot fence, or don't your will cut it down to 6 and they will be reported for their yard.

·
Registered
7,922 Posts
I would pay the money to have it approved by the city. And then after that matter is settled I would file a complaint on your neighbors to clean that dump up.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Talk to the zoning person and explain your situation. They could explain some stuff you might not know about (Other regs and stuff).

But to my knowledge the whole ordeal is because they have a crappy yard, so the 8 foot fence is needed. if the yard is clean then a 6 footer would be fine.

So just explain what their options are. Either sign and say OK to the 8 foot fence, or don't your will cut it down to 6 and they will be reported for their yard.
:banghead:banghead:banghead Are you 70 years old, have white hair, and look like George Washington? You sound just like my mother. This is probably the best idea.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts