Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Man of endless projects
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone try this to tell if it works? how often do you have to replace your plugs doing this? how much better did it improve performance if at all?

right now i got Autolite double plats in and there somewhere between 6-10k miles and gapped for the 6litertuneup. however i tend to chnage my plugs far more often then i should so i might replace them soon for some cheapy coppers. but a few weeks ago i saw something about sidegapping and how it actually does improve performance alot with the cost of plug life. if i do this i was thinking i would use some single plat plugs jsut so they last longer. but does anyone know if this works well enough to try?

also has anyone tried any kind of surface gap sparkplugs for our motors? if they had an appropriate heat range and gap for our trucks, they seem ultimate. i tried one on a gocart motor and i can feel the motor really open way up and had much better performance over regualr plugs

·
Registered
267 Posts
We used to do this on our street racers back in the early 80's never saw alot of improvement of any type but we were 1/4 mileing them not regular street driving. I know that the import guys do it alot and certian companys actually have them side gapped from the factory.Just remember when you increase the travel space between the two points you increase the amount of voltage required to fire. So as long as you keep the gapping correct, it should be fine.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
I could not disagree more with the later part of your statement, Six. I index my plugs for the simple reason of "why not". The side electrode ones have shown milage increases in their tests, but I do not have first hand knowledge.

SWS

·
Premium Member
1,769 Posts
I did the whole side gapping the plugs when I was bored. I never noticed any difference what so ever. But I can say I got side gapped plugs now.

·
Man of endless projects
9,490 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
lol. i might try them later on then when im bored and actually test them. but im doing some other work on the truck right now so if i do it now, i wont be able to tell if it hurt/helped. jsut kinda curious bout it

·
Registered
8 Posts
Side Gap

If you are running a 3000 hp drag strip motor I would say it is worth your time, for our use......just gap them like you know how and put them in. No value added.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
ditto waste of time. Nobody really going to find any big improvement with side gap plugs imho and specially for the effort that you put in doing them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts