Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am just gonna say it. I dont like the stock swing mirrors on the 78-79 Broncos so there. :goodfinge

I am considering a later model replacement. Little looking around turned up same year replacements but I didnt see anything about using later year replacements. I know it has been done.

I see that the 92-96 mirrors have the additional brace that goes through the exterior door panel and fastens to the interior door panel. I also see the 85-91s that dont have that brace, but look like they have a fatter mounting brace.

Who here has replaced their swing mirrors with a later year replacement and for those who have, do you have a write up, advice or any pics? I am considering the possibility of either using the 85-91 mirror but want to make sure it is large enough, extends off the truck enough and looks good on the truck OR a 92-96 mirror but I am not sure about how well the additional brace would work on a 78. I could cut that brace then add an additional plate on the inside of the door and use bolts with lock nuts if needed. Also not sure of the angle of the doors in model year comparison where the mirrors mount. I dont want the replacement years having weird angles...

Any help would be appreciated...

·
Registered
408 Posts
I left my original swing brackets on, and I put a pair of 87/91 mirrors on them when the original mirrors rusted out inside. I prefer the way the newer mirrors look.
I don't think there is much difference in the brackets as far as thickness.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I left my original swing brackets on, and I put a pair of 87/91 mirrors on them when the original mirrors rusted out inside. I prefer the way the newer mirrors look.
I don't think there is much difference in the brackets as far as thickness.
Thanks. I am looking to replace the entire mirror set up. I dont like the look of the big swing bracket or the mirrors. Trying to clean the lines on the door up a little. The mounting bracket on the 85(or 87)/91 looks different than the 92/96 online but may not really be much different...

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
I added the 92-96 mirrors to mine, I cut off the brace.
I love the look but they definitely need the brace, the sheet metal is too flexible for them even with a 12" long strip of 3/16" thick aluminum on the inside of the door.
I will be fabbing up a brace that will bolt to the inside and brace it against the inner door. The 92-96 brace was in the wrong place for where I wanted to set the mirrors on the door.

I will get some pics tomorrow for you.

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,692 Posts
:popc1:

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I added the 92-96 mirrors to mine, I cut off the brace.
I love the look but they definitely need the brace, the sheet metal is too flexible for them even with a 12" long strip of 3/16" thick aluminum on the inside of the door.
I will be fabbing up a brace that will bolt to the inside and brace it against the inner door. The 92-96 brace was in the wrong place for where I wanted to set the mirrors on the door.

I will get some pics tomorrow for you.
Good info. Thanks. I suppose that the mirrors probably bounce around without those braces. I was hoping an inside plate would help but I guess not!

Pics would be great. Thanks!

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Here are some pics of mine, I love the way they fit the Bronco.

·
36,692 Posts
just curious guys... do those mirrors fold in as well, for those "tight fit" moments?

·
not banned
5,979 Posts
i did it on mine, its in my rebuild thread.
i used Steve83's tech notes as a tech manual :}

they are signal mirrors, and i added an additional LED turn signal light for those lateral to me.

they fold in well, when getting in the garage :}

mj

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I am definitely going with the 92-96 mirrors. I like the way they look on the 78-79s. Pics and info just confirmed it for me.

Pepe - The mirrors folded in pretty well on my 95 for the tight spots. They were often folded in by something I was trying to get around. That is, until I took the doors off and didn't really have side mirrors anymore. :duh

I would definitely recommend the brace. They can be a little tough to fold in and I think could tear the door if not braced.

·
36,692 Posts
good to know. that's why I love the old style... they just flip right in and pop right back in the same spot with no additional adjustment needed.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
96 power mirrors

Here's a few of mine with the chrome 96 power mirrors. I love how they look and I wouldn't be without the power. No more getting blinded by the jerk behind me with his brights on. I made sure the brace stayed and I'm glad I did, because I'm sure the metal would get fatigued cause they don't fold all that easy.

Swamp

·
OMF
2,930 Posts
Mine are power, I have not hooked up the switch yet, not heated.
I am still cringing at the idea of cutting up a new door panel. I am actually planning to incorporate it into the center console.

Mine were chrome, I painted the insert since there is no chrome on the truck.

·
Premium Member
3,696 Posts
Yeah, I love mine! I have to swing them in to get them through the single car door into my 3-car garage. The first time you swing them it it might be hard because it'll probably the first time! After that they swing in easy.

I have not hooked up the power option yet either and not sure I ever will. They adjust easy by hand and stay adjusted well. I did keep the brace to the inside door panel and I recommend keeping it. It's a little hard to judge where to drill the hole on the inside but if you don't get it right drill another - its covered by the door panel! LOL

·
Premium Member
1,520 Posts
Two questions: 1. Were these mirrors ever offered with a heated/defrost option? 2. How do the manual versions adjust? By moving the glass or is there a "paddle" in the interior.

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Again, thanks to everyone for the pics/info. :rockon

This place causes me to be a broke man. I should have known not to show the pics to the wife.
If I have my way, I will own a 40k 1978 Bronco by the time I am done. :histerica

Two questions: 1. Were these mirrors ever offered with a heated/defrost option? 2. How do the manual versions adjust? By moving the glass or is there a "paddle" in the interior.
Here are some mirror options. Prices arent too bad. I am looking at the black, manual mirror pair for 55 dollars. I know power is an option, but I dont know about heat/defrost (may find it in the page link below). They manual ones adjust my moving the glass.

http://www.1aauto.com/search?q=side+mirror&year=1992&model=208

1 - 20 of 55 Posts