Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love Bronco. Drives great. I tightened the front wheel bearings, and checked the steering assemblies. There is some slop in the steering wheel, but I can live with it for now. What I did notice is that the side of the tail gate that supports most of the weight from the spare tire has serperated a little. And that side is about 1/4 of an inch pulled away from the window with the weight on the spare. I opened the gate up and no rust yet, but I want to get to it before that happens. I am going to get into it tonight and find out exactly what I am dealing with.
I am thinking that the sheet metal was stamped together, and it split? What is the best way to fix this? Have it tig welded? Put a Nut and Bolt through? Thanks for the help.

James

·
Registered
435 Posts
I fixed mine by taking the spare and the whole rack off. I put the bolts back in the holes when I got through. If I go far from home I put the spare in the back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I saw that picture in his gallery. Any ideas of how to fix it? Is there a way of attaching a small bracket to the inside of the back piece then throwing a bolt in from the side? Or running a small bead of JB weld? Or having it welded? I will get a better look at it tonight, just wanted to see if anyone had fixed this problem before. I want to keep the Spare on the back. It is part of the Bronco feel for me. Having to look back at the tire filling part of my view..... wouldn't trade that for the world ;)

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
If it's already split it's kind of game over. I would remove the tire carrier so as to prevent more damage from occuring and then have a rear bumper fabbed that has the tire carrier swinging off it it instead of the body. Without the weight of the tire on it all the time you should be able to get it to stay togeather okay.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Mine was bent and split in the same spot when I got it. I think mine was from the tailgate being let down and hitting the bottom tube on the tire carrier if it's not all the way open. Then once the split starts the weight of the spare makes it worse. I welded up the split's, ground them down smooth and primered the bare metal. Good as new. I then pulled the spare tire carrier off as I am building a custom bumper with a tire carrier.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, it wasn't as bad as I thought. It was split for about 6 inches. I drilled a hole from the top and put in a 1/4 inch sheet metal screw. When the gate is up you can't see it. Seems to be holding fine. If it starts to wear out I will put one in from the back. It is a Tahoe rig, as long as it is solid it works for me. I am going to watch it though. Thanks for the advice.

James

I will Check the camper shell. The P/o owned it since 92 and said he never took it off. Do those bolts work their way loose?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ooooooo, body epoxy? Haven't heard of that. Will Kragen/ Pepboys/ Napa carry it? I will get some and throw that in as well.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Not sure if I like the glue idea
I had the same problem, if you take out the corner rubber weatherstrip you will find an L shaped sheet metal bracket beneath it that's been welded to the door frame from the door skin.
Likely this is broke and all the stress is on the tack welded lip, causing it to separate.
I had special brackets made of heavy gage steel and welded in, also when the crack was repaired, the lip was not just tacked as original, but put a continuous weld bead along the whole length for added strength.
Unfortunately to do the job this way requires removal of the glass and painting the tailgate over, but I had the tailgate gutted for a major overhaul anyway.
At that time I replaced all the worn window mechanism parts, latch, wiring, etc.
One season with a 35" spare and no problems so far.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts