Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone had or heard of the large rear side windows bowing out or failing and fracturing just from the pressure of a flexing roof?

my rear side passenger window is gone now. i got into the bronco yesterday, turned it on, and hear that crackling sound thats so lovely. look over and the whole window had turned into a pain of small little pieces of fractured safety glass. finally it blows out and goes all over the place.

anyways can this happen just because or did something hit my window to weekend it )rock from wedwhacker or something)? there were no central starting points that one would see from smashing a baseball into it.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Sounds like frame flex and heat\temperature change to me. Still odd though

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i dont wheel it often at all and by no means is it aggressive when i do. havn,t for moths now. though it is a 92 and has 300,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
274 Posts
The PO of mine lost the top going down interstate and both side windows were intact when it landed. Not sure how he managed to do that. Probably either weak glass that the heat got to or something hit it.

Derek

·
Registered
843 Posts
Is it really hot where you are? and if so, do you crack your windows?

When it gets super hot, sometime the heat builds in the car and can cause air pressure to build. If the window in question was in direct sunlight for a long period of time, the heat begins to have a minor effect on the glass.

Combine the two, and boom. No window.

It may sound crazy or retarded, but it happened to my father in his old Exploder. The back window just blew out one day sitting in the heat, while in the driveway.

Every since, I crack the windows every so slightly so the pressure doesn't build up. I just recently pulled side windows out of a top I cut and those gaskets are pretty significant. I doubt that flex would cause it to break.

Hmmm... I have a spare set of rear side window if you want them now that I think of it.

·
Premium Member
5,104 Posts
No vehicle is THAT airtight; they ALL have venting built into the body so that there's always airflow, and there can NEVER be any pressure buildup. Not even a tiny bit. Ours are vented thru the doors & tailgate, even if the A/C is set to "MAX" (recirculate) and everything else is factory-tight.
We are going thru 115 degree weather right now (external, 175-200 in truck) and my windows are not breaking... I think it was an outside object that caused the break. Lucky its an inexpensive and easy fix.. I think about the fact that my truck is 13 years old and I know that it is FAR from air tight (seals are shot, no ability to maintain any "presure")... any glass that is broken in my truck is not from pressure...

·
Registered
843 Posts
More than likely you are right - there probably is no way that the pressure could build up that much to blow the window out.

However, if the window was already hot, there was a minor unseen crack or some other type of minor damage, and a little pressure... wierder things have happened.

I didn't believe that the rear window of an Exploder could do it either, but it did. Came home, left the truck in the driveway in the sun, we went to go leave later in the day, and there was no window. They don't live in a crime area or anything, and generally people aren't dumb enough to break into a truck with a PBA and other police stickers in the window.

All I'm saying is don't rule out anything.

Frankly, it really doesn't matter, does it? Now its just a matter of replacing the window.

·
Registered
843 Posts
No, actually it was like the first year that they came out.. what was that? '91 or so? It was a great little truck. Sadly, my dumba$$ of a sister was using it to move back from college and decided to bounce it off a few guard rails in PA.

I used to call it the "Porsche" because that seemed fast as hell after driving my Bronco for weeks on end. Zippy little thing.

He traded it in and wound up getting a Subaru Forrester. Nice... whatever it is... but there ain't a whole lot of cargo room - especially when you have two deer that need to come home from a day's hunting.

·
Registered
101 Posts
O.M.G........:banghead...........must be the atmosphere...

....scully the truth is out there somewhere....[error: there is no alien emoticon].....

·
Registered
843 Posts
OK, ok Steve. If you say so. I'm only telling you what I saw. Calm down. No need to get crazy. It was the only explanation that made any sense. If there is no way to build pressure, then there is no way to build pressure. Fine. I accept that I am wrong, the window didn't blow out, and I like making up random stories that sort of refer to the thread topic and make me sound like I know what I'm talking about.

I'm not sure what you are confused about with the sister and trading comments. Basically, she filled the truck with crap, was driving home to fast in an ice or snow storm in PA, and slid and did a pinball off of the side guard rails on a one lane road.

Dad figured that after I screwed up the 4 wheel drive, and she did a bunch of body damage, that the time had come to give up the Exploder. He (I think, can't remember) either traded it in as the down payment on the Subaru, or sold it to a friend to cover the down payment.

Does that make sense?

So, out of curiosity, and not to add fuel to the fire here, but if the car can't hold pressure, why is it that when you open and close a window at speed on the highway, your ears sort of pop? Or why is it when you close the door, that there is a change in pressure when the door pushes the air into the interior of the car? If there was no way to hold pressure, then there wouldn't be those issues right?

Or am I making things up again? :drinkbud

·
Registered
843 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense. You got me.

But if the car was sitting there, not moving, no one got in or out of it, the window was in perfect condition, how could it just break? It was a brand-new truck? Just a bad day on the window assembly line?

I mean, I'd believe that the window was damaged on a 20 year-old truck, but a brand new one?

Then again my pet bigfoot did go missing for a little while that day... :doh0715:

I also don't go making crap up. I'm 28 - I stopped doing that when I was at least...23. Well, except when I have a few drinks at the bar, and this hot girl...well you get the idea. Though I MAY be stretching the truth with that bigfoot line...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.