Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
Decided to tackle my rusted out sidestep brackets on my 96 Bronco, Going to bend some square tubing to replace the round thin factory brackets.

Sorry for the poor pics as they are from my Cell Phone.
miesk5 Note; see his pics @ http://web.archive.org/web/20160502...net/clubs/fullsizebronco/registry/15991/63147

First thing I needed to do was tackle the rusted on nuts, these things will snap very easily so lots of heat is called for.

Nice and hot now.

Nut comes off with little effort

This is the bolt under the sidestep, it has lost most of its mass to rust. I'll have to replace these.

here is the bracket, rusted right out and full of dirt. If they had drain holes they would have lasted much longer - so lesson here is go drill a couple drain holes in your brackets so water and crap will run out.

Thats it for today, I'll return with better pics. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,517 Posts
Little change in direction, bought another set of side steps from Miketnf150. I'm going to recon them and install them after my bronco is painted. For now thought I will use one of the brackets on the drivers side.

Ok here is the left bracket from Miketnf150, a little bit of surface rust but solid.

After a little sand blasting

Hanging them up to paint

I cleaned them off with brake clean and went to town with the black paint

These are the end caps and they come off, I did this so I could clean the inside of the pipe out. had about a pound of dirt in one.

I real used my side step for now, its damaged at the front.

Pic of how it mounts

My old bracket next to the new to me one.
I even sandblasted the old hardware.
Decided to strip down the sidesteps from Miketnf150 so I can fix the clips and paint them.

miesk5 Note;
Many pics were deleted

·
Registered
322 Posts
hey where can you get new tubing? Mine is rotted through and I am just about going to get a new steppers, I want to see if I can put the same set up on but where can you get cheap tubing like this one you build? How much did you pay? What do you think about the diamond plate ones vs the powdercoated steppers?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I gave the person at the Parts dept. the part # from your diagram, and they told me that it would be that price with the part # I provided 16A506A. I didn't ask for the description, but the next time I'm at the dealership I'll ask to see the pic and find out what's up. That price was quoted to me by Packer Norris Parts in Baltimore, MD. Google them and call them if you don't believe me :thumbup

·
Registered
13 Posts
I know this post is almost a decade old, but I am still going to try and get some help. Just picked up some of the stock running boards, trying to get my EB back to showroom condition someday. I was able to find some decent brackets at the u-pull and got them cleaned up and painted. Unfortunately, the studs on the under side of the board itself are completely gone like the ones in the pictures from the OP, and sadly he did not say how he replaced them. I cannot seem to find the best way of R&Ring them, and am about to just rip the entire plate off and see what I can do then. If anyone happens to see this and has some advice I would appreciate it greatly. This site has been an awesome resource for me over the last two years as I work my way fixing up the beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts