Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

441 - 460 of 489 Posts

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,490 Posts
Trac bar mount looks nice, with the reinforcements. I like the plug welds especially.
Also if that is the same ratchet strap as in the pics above, that particular strap has sure earned its keep.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #442
Trac bar mount looks nice, with the reinforcements. I like the plug welds especially.
Also if that is the same ratchet strap as in the pics above, that particular strap has sure earned its keep.
Thanks, I figured the plug welds would help, more weld area to hold. It is the same strap, might buy a couple more, they have come in handy lately, lol.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #444
What's next for this beast in terms of upgrades? Rear winch? Coilovers? Super Charger?
Fixing some of the rust, maybe start on the roadster doors that I've had hidden away for years. I'd also like to do something about my front seats, either redo them or replace with something with more side bolster so I'm more planted in my seat so I'm not sliding off the side at times.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
When you went 8 lug in the front, did you swap out axle shafts?

Also, looking to get in touch with the Long Island guy that wrecked his BKO and had axles for sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #446
When you went 8 lug in the front, did you swap out axle shafts?

Also, looking to get in touch with the Long Island guy that wrecked his BKO and had axles for sale.

No, just brake caliper mounts, spindles, and calipers, and it was all ford stuff, could probably buy most of it new. Chevy might have been a better choice since my caliper fell over due to that goofy design.

That would be Nick, i can give you his number if you want.

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Silent One's Build/Upgrade Thread.

I am going with the ford parts - don’t really want Chevy parts and I like the twin pot calipers.

Please PM me Nicks contact info.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #448
So my right side exhaust manifold gasket is blown out, manifold seems ok, but I know they are prone to cracking. So I could slap a gasket in there and hope for the best or get a new stock manifold for it if that doesn't work out.

But I've been toying with getting some good ceramic coated headers, (JBA or Bassani) but I don't want to deal with hard spark plugs to change of blowing out header gaskets. Also,I'm I really gaining much from going to headers vs stock.

Any thoughts.

·
89 Problems
2,554 Posts
So my right side exhaust manifold gasket is blown out, manifold seems ok, but I know they are prone to cracking. So I could slap a gasket in there and hope for the best or get a new stock manifold for it if that doesn't work out.

But I've been toying with getting some good ceramic coated headers, (JBA or Bassani) but I don't want to deal with hard spark plugs to change of blowing out header gaskets. Also,I'm I really gaining much from going to headers vs stock.

Any thoughts.
I recently had one of my shorty headers crack. it was a cheap summit one that had all the attachments for smog and basically bolt in with very little effort. the new ones I am replacing them with came in a box marked pacesetter. why would I replace a cracked header with an identical one? well, they had been on the truck for like, 12 years without any kind of coating... which is absurdly long for any header, coated or not. John told me he tried that high temp ceramic paint on it but it burned off, so I think I'm going to wrap these with some of that new fancy non-fiberglass header wrap stuff. might be something you could use and not break the bank with. :thumbup

·
Super Moderator
6,598 Posts
Speaking from experience on the ceramic coated headers they still rust and deteriorate. They just do it at a considerably slower rate. They do a good job keeping the heat down that uncoated headers don't. As for added advantages to getting them. I don't know that you will see any Jim with a stock engine. Add to that the cost of them and any adjustments to your current exhaust route to accommodate them.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #451
You guys are are probably right and I was thinking the samething, not really going to see any improvement with the headers.
Rick, they would be shorty headers so no modification needed.
Looking at new manifolds, they all have ports in all the tubes with plugs in them, i'm not sure if that's a future problem or not.

·
Sayulita Layta!
6,750 Posts
You guys are are probably right and I was thinking the samething, not really going to see any improvement with the headers.
Rick, they would be shorty headers so no modification needed.
Looking at new manifolds, they all have ports in all the tubes with plugs in them, i'm not sure if that's a future problem or not.
Good equal length headers aren't a huge gain, but they definitely change things up under the hood. I had to pull my Bassani's and the truck is missing some thrill factor.

Speaking of which, I can sell you my ceramic coated Bassani's. I won't be able to use them in CA anymore.

You won't really have any problems changing out spark plugs*– just pull the passenger inner plastic fender, 3/8" ratchet with a swivel, and you'll be fine. You don't have to change plugs very often anyways.

·
ate lug
8,482 Posts

Any thoughts.
Speaking from experience, the JBA's dont interfere with the plugs or wires at all. Super easy to work with.

Honestly dont know if the headers make any difference at all since i rebuilt the whole truck at the same time, but atleast it sounds good :toothless

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #454

Any thoughts.
Speaking from experience, the JBA's dont interfere with the plugs or wires at all. Super easy to work with.

Honestly dont know if the headers make any difference at all since i rebuilt the whole truck at the same time, but atleast it sounds good
Well, I got a deal on some used Bassiani headers and ordered some boot protectors.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #455
Curious if this will work.
Installled the Bassani headers a few weeks ago that I got from Stan the man. Didn't really take many pictures, had multiple broken bolts that I had to drill out and just became a nightmare.
I do feel a bit of difference on the low end, seems a little pep in its step.

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
See if this works.

So found my rear leaf spring broken:doh0715: they are also worn out. Was just going to replace with the same superlift spring I have now since the only Deavers I see are 4” lift spring. But then I found a set of 6” Deavers for the 78/79 H58’s, is there much of a difference in the springs?
I know the superlift springs will bolt in and be fine, not sure how much I would have to start messing with pinion angle with the Deavers if I went that route.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #460
Everything ive ever read says the 78-9 broncos use a leaf spring that is 1" shorter overall, but specifically in the front half. So if you used those, you might lose 1" of wheelbase.
Well i don't want that, haha. So Superlift it is and that makes my life easier anyway.

441 - 460 of 489 Posts