Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

481 - 488 of 488 Posts

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
I assume you have stayed on top or regular service on the trans??? If you are confident it has been taken care of and hasn’t had anything horrific happen to it, I would just throw a TC in it and go

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
I assume you have stayed on top or regular service on the trans??? If you are confident it has been taken care of and hasn’t had anything horrific happen to it, I would just throw a TC in it and go
It’s been a bit since last time I changed the fluid and it go a little warm in Moab and PA wheeling, so not a 100% sure about it.
I’d be ok to get another year or 2 out of it and build another to swap in.

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Hmmm... I’ve seen them go 250-300k if they were never gotten too hot and had the fluid changed regularly. But I have seen many more die right around where yours is if they weren’t taken care of.....
Either way, if it were mine I would throw a TC in it and cross my fingers, but I’m poor....

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
A failing TC is what wiped out the trans in my diesel way back when. Got hot and dumped all sorts of metal into the trans, which then overheated....it was a pretty catastrophic failure.

That said, if the shifts are good but the lockup is sloppy then id probably just throw a converter in it and call it good too. Maybe toss one of Punisher's valvebodies in there if you havent already, and drive her til she pops. I guess it would all depend on what i found when i dropped the pan.

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
A failing TC is what wiped out the trans in my diesel way back when. Got hot and dumped all sorts of metal into the trans, which then overheated....it was a pretty catastrophic failure.

That said, if the shifts are good but the lockup is sloppy then id probably just throw a converter in it and call it good too. Maybe toss one of Punisher's valvebodies in there if you havent already, and drive her til she pops. I guess it would all depend on what i found when i dropped the pan.
It has a 628 excessive TC slippage code, it’s shifting really hard. I have the punisher valve body and
it has a 628 code excessive TC slippage and shifting hard. I have the punisher valve body and asked him about and he said it shifts had because it’s in a fail safe mode. It’s hard shift most of the time but not all. Gues I could drop the pan and if it looks ok, roll the dice.

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
id drop the pan and see whats in there. If you dont see any debris then id probably throw a new filter and TC at it, and see what happens. Pretty sure theres a procedure to test the solenoids, i can check my book and get back to you tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
7,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
id drop the pan and see whats in there. If you dont see any debris then id probably throw a new filter and TC at it, and see what happens. Pretty sure theres a procedure to test the solenoids, i can check my book and get back to you tomorrow.
Sounds good

·
ate lug
8,450 Posts
Sorry for the delay, and i dont have any god info either. Code 628 is difficult to troubleshoot it seems. They want you to troubleshoot by symptom, no real test procedure.

For code 629/P0743, which is torque converter clutch solenoid circuit failure, or P1743/P1742 Torue converter clutch solenoid failure:

Looking at your harness connector, these are the pins for the TCC circuit.

Find those pins on your solenoid pack and measure resistance across them, if its 20-30 ohms then the pack is good.

By the book, if the solenoid pack is good, and the PCM is good, then the converter is most likely bad. All they really do is have you plug in the breakout box and test it for engagement, with the vehicle off and then on. Either way, its either good or bad. If the pack is good, the TC is bad, and vice-versa.

Hard shifts is super hard to diagnose by the book, as theres a ton of things that can cause it. Hard shifts in a certain gear or all of them? upshift or downshift? Engine braking in 3rd with or w/o OD cancelled? Theres a shitload of questions scattered thru the whole troubleshooting section. I need detailed info on exactly how it shifts at all times before i can point to anything over than a failing converter.

Heres a pic of the full pinout of the connector in the harness and on the pack. Warning! Its a big pic:
KIMG2410.JPG

481 - 488 of 488 Posts