Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi-
I just recently did a tune up and I just did the timing bump (up to 12 degrees BTDC) on my 5.0. The plugs are out the stock gap of .042. I know the six-litre tune-up specifies .055. Im running platinum plugs and premium napa wires, all this is working well. Should I pull the plugs and gap them out to .055? I have a couple concerns about doing this. One, is that as plugs wear, the gap extends. Im worried if I gap them out to .055, that the gap will extend and it will misfire. Also, a bigger gap puts more stress on the ignition system and I don't have a performance coil. So, do I really need a performance coil? Heard they don't last. And does the truck run good until the next tune-up interval gapping them at .055 without misfiring problems?

·
Registered
710 Posts
you will need the bigger coil for the bigger gap. yes they will wear out eventually but I wouldn't think that it will be a problem with the bigger coil. If you get a good one it will last just fine (keep your old one in the console just in case).

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,658 Posts
What you've done there is called the Three Liter Tune-up.

It only works half as well as it's bigger brother........

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
is it the 3 liter even if your only missing the bigger coil?

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
What would be a good "bigger" coil?
Thanks-
i think basically any coil with a higher output than stock. the motorcraft coil i heard puts out 28 something volts and the mad puts out 48 something.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yes, i know of that coil and the accel coil and a couple others. however, I want ones that going to last and not fry my ignition module.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Perhaps I'm stupid but if its running fire why f*ck with it?

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
No it won't. And actually stock Ford coil is rated at over 50k volts and most of these aftermarkets are rated at max of 48k. Get a new stock ford coil and gap your plugs.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts